Topic: Inflection
Replies: 16   Last Post: Jun 19, 2014 1:07 PM

Marnie Northington

Re: Inflection

"quasi" <quasi@null.set> wrote in message
> John Smith wrote:
>>A recent thread about points of inflection reminded me of
>>a function I encountered when I was a math student.
>>The function had many points of inflection but it also had
>>points, which I presume are also called inflection points,
>>where the gradient was infinite (i.e tending to a vertical
>>rather than horizontal line on an x,y graph).
>>I remember the graph looking like a staircase with rounded
>>edges but I have completely forgotten what the function was.
>>It's possible I have not remembered it correctly due to it
>>being so long ago.
>>Can anyone tell me what this function was or give me a
>>similar function?

> The curve given by the implicit equation
> x - y = sin(x + y)
> has the shape you described.

Thanks, that looks very like what I remember but I can't remember whether it
was horizontal or vertical at the origin. It would have had to have been in
a form which I could plot manually on graph paper in less than an hour at
age about 18.

Old Guy