Topic: Inflection
Replies: 16   Last Post: Jun 19, 2014 1:07 PM

Marnie Northington

Re: Inflection

"Port563" <reader80@eternal-september.org> wrote in message

> "John Smith" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote...

>> "quasi" <quasi@null.set> wrote in message

>>> The curve given by the implicit equation
>>>
>>> x - y = sin(x + y)
>>>
>>> has the shape you described.

>> Thanks, that looks very like what I remember but I can't remember whether
>> it was horizontal or vertical at the origin.

> Or neither?
>
> Take a look at
> x - y = 1 - cos(x + y)
> and tell me where you want your stairs shifted to. (-:

Ok I guess we can put the origin anywhere.
I remember a math(s) lecturer telling us all about that.

But whatever I plotted I'm fairly sure it would have been in the form y =
f(x) in closed form and I don't think the above function can be put in that
form.

Old Guy