Topic: Discussion with WM - Frustration reaches boiling point (What
is not clear?)

Replies: 8   Last Post: Jul 5, 2014 11:16 PM

ross.finlayson@gmail.com

Re: Discussion with WM - Frustration reaches boiling point (What
is not clear?)

On 7/5/2014 11:19 AM, PotatoSauce wrote:
> On Saturday, July 5, 2014 2:00:03 PM UTC-4, Ross A. Finlayson wrote:

>>> But you agreed that
>>

>>> lim t->0 (-t,0) u (0, t) = { }.
>>

>>> You have also tacitly acknowledged that set limits pass through set relation, thus
>>

>>> {} <= lim t->0 { t/2 } <= lim t-> 0 (-t,0) u (0, t) = {}
>>

>>> (using <= for subset)
>>

>>> So clearly, we can have non-empty sets with empty limit sets.
>>

>> And so clearly the other way?
>>

>> You can see from topology
>>
>> running out either, I would hope.
>>

>> Would you agree that there are
>>
>> definitions in topology? At all?

> This is from a previous discussion. We have established that we are using the standard product topology on sets, and I was just reiterating parts that WM has previously agreed to.

As long as you'd agree:

1) that's a definition
2) there are others
3) there are usual "counterexamples in topology"
a) definition of open and closed
b) vacuity of
c) contradictions in empty closures from non-empty