Topic: Improving questions we ask students
Replies: 63   Last Post: Jul 28, 2014 8:29 AM

Anna Roys

Re: Improving questions we ask students
att1.html (4.2 K)

Responding to RH who wrote,
"My question to you, pure and simple, is why is it so important to you to
rob them of this happiness so that you can pretend to teach them math?"

I am not sure this question deserves any response, but here goes anyway...

Are you trying to hide your prejudicial thinking I have exposed, by
attempting to throw insults at me?

You missed a lot of the subtleties embedded in my prior posts. No one is
being robbed and I am not pretending.

( Sharing my view of social justice in public education)
>From my perspective, as a public school teacher, I serve the public;
regardless of students' prior failure or success; I assert that all
students deserve equal opportunity in education as outlined in our federal
laws and regulations. This equal opportunity in my opinion, should
include differentiated instruction - as much as I have time to give.
Differentiating instruction for individual students is a lot more work and
pays no more. Pushing students through curriculum then moving on, whether
they get it or not, then passing out "F"s is a lot easier and pays the
same. I honestly care about the success of my students - they are the
public and I serve them the best I can - without prejudice in regards to
their capabilities.

Your flat, opinionated, tunnel-vision, elitist type attitudes and thinking
are revealed in your posts; they are likely noticed by others on this
forum as well. I have also noticed that when your point cannot be defended,
rather than conceding it, you go into attack mode.

Additionally, are you trained and certified to evaluate what goes on in my
classroom to determine whether I am "pretending" to teach or whether my
students are learning ? Do you have the standardized exam data of my
students to evaluate? (I do and make use of this data to drive
instruction.)

Furthermore, I informally assess frequently which gives me updated data,
so I know when my students need reteaching on a lesson. So, if I am
working with special needs students, I stretch to find new ways to help
them any way I can.

I know I clearly recognize the " Ah..h - I got it" looks on my students
faces, and might suggest that this is a sort of happiness. Working hard to
gain understanding and then finally getting it feels good. As a learner
myself, I feel that if I am not struggling a bit to understand something, I
am not learning at all, but rather just entertaining myself. I like to
challenge myself. I guess you wouldn't understand . From your posts, it
seems you might believe that it has to come easy or you do not deserve to
learn it?

How could it be evidenced that anyone has been robbed of happiness or that
I am only "pretending to teach?"

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 9:39 PM, Louis Talman <talmanl@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Jul 2014 13:38:24 -0600, Anna Roys <roys.anna@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> I find many of your posts difficult to follow as a reader, because your
> pronouns rarely have clear antecdents.
>

> Oh, surely not!
>
> RH must know, clearly, what his pronoun's antecedents are. Surely!
>
> As evidence, I offer the suggestion that no one else has *ever* complained
> about his inattention to this matter of precision. (And thus beat him to
> it.)
>

> --Louis A. Talman
> Department of Mathematical and Computer Sciences
> Metropolitan State University of Denver
>
> <http://rowdy.msudenver.edu/~talmanl>

Date Subject Author
7/9/14
Read Improving questions we ask students
Richard Strausz
7/11/14
Read Re: Improving questions we ask students
Dave L. Renfro
7/11/14
Read Re: Improving questions we ask students
Robert Hansen
7/11/14
Read Re: Improving questions we ask students
Robert Hansen
7/11/14
Read Re: Improving questions we ask students
Richard Strausz
7/12/14
Read Re: Improving questions we ask students
Robert Hansen
7/12/14
Read Re: Improving questions we ask students
Richard Strausz
7/12/14
Read Re: Improving questions we ask students
Robert Hansen
7/12/14
Read Re: Improving questions we ask students
Robert Hansen
7/12/14
Read Re: Improving questions we ask students
Gary Tupper
7/13/14
Read Re: Improving questions we ask students
Robert Hansen
7/13/14
Read Re: Improving questions we ask students
Robert Hansen
7/13/14
Read RE: Improving questions we ask students
Bishop, Wayne
7/13/14
Read Re: Improving questions we ask students
kirby urner
7/13/14
Read Re: Improving questions we ask students
GS Chandy
7/13/14
Read Re: Improving questions we ask students
Richard Strausz
7/13/14
Read Re: Improving questions we ask students
Richard Strausz
7/13/14
Read Re: Improving questions we ask students
Robert Hansen
7/13/14
Read Re: Improving questions we ask students
GS Chandy
7/13/14
Read Re: Improving questions we ask students
Richard Strausz
7/14/14
Read Re: Improving questions we ask students
GS Chandy
7/14/14
Read Re: Improving questions we ask students
GS Chandy
7/14/14
Read Re: Improving questions we ask students
kirby urner
7/14/14
Read Re: Improving questions we ask students
Anna Roys
7/14/14
Read Re: Improving questions we ask students
Robert Hansen
7/15/14
Read Re: Improving questions we ask students
Anna Roys
7/15/14
Read Re: Improving questions we ask students
Robert Hansen
7/16/14
Read Re: Improving questions we ask students
Louis Talman
7/16/14
Read Re: Improving questions we ask students
Anna Roys
7/16/14
Read Re: Improving questions we ask students
Robert Hansen
7/16/14
Read Re: Improving questions we ask students
Robert Hansen
7/14/14
Read Re: Improving questions we ask students
Robert Hansen
7/14/14
Read RE: Improving questions we ask students
Bishop, Wayne
7/14/14
Read Re: Improving questions we ask students
Robert Hansen
7/14/14
Read RE: Improving questions we ask students
Bishop, Wayne
7/14/14
Read Re: RE: Improving questions we ask students
GS Chandy
7/14/14
[...]
israeliteknight
7/16/14
Read Re: Improving questions we ask students
GS Chandy
7/16/14
Read Re: Improving questions we ask students
israeliteknight
7/16/14
Read Re: Improving questions we ask students
Richard Strausz
7/16/14
Read Re: Improving questions we ask students
Robert Hansen
7/16/14
Read Re: Improving questions we ask students
Anna Roys
7/17/14
[...]
meetlesli
7/28/14