Topic: Is this why Chinese kids are better at mathematics?
Replies: 21   Last Post: Jul 24, 2014 2:45 PM

Louis Talman

Re: Is this why Chinese kids are better at mathematics?

On Mon, 21 Jul 2014 09:38:50 -0600, Bishop, Wayne
<wbishop@exchange.calstatela.edu> wrote:

> I don't disagree mathematically but I do disagree pedagogically. Few
> students really understand point-wise continuity, on their first
> introduction, let alone uniform continuity.

Who said anything about uniform continuity? And if it were the issue, one
could observe that students are likely to understand that we mean uniform
continuity when we talk about pointwise continuity. Cauchy himself did
that.

I said uniform *limit.* It's no harder to understand the notion that some
curves must lie close to another than it is to understand that some points
must lie close to another. And it makes subsequent dealings with
derivatives much easier---unnecessary pathology being banished to higher
level courses, where it belongs.

- --Louis A. Talman
Metropolitan State University of Denver

<http://rowdy.msudenver.edu/~talmanl>

Date Subject Author
7/18/14
Read Is this why Chinese kids are better at mathematics?
Jonathan Crabtree
7/18/14
Read Re: Is this why Chinese kids are better at mathematics?
GS Chandy
7/19/14
Read Re: Is this why Chinese kids are better at mathematics?
Jonathan Crabtree
7/19/14
Read Re: Is this why Chinese kids are better at mathematics?
Louis Talman
7/20/14
Read Re: Is this why Chinese kids are better at mathematics?
Robert Hansen
7/20/14
Read Re: Is this why Chinese kids are better at mathematics?
Louis Talman
7/20/14
Read Re: Is this why Chinese kids are better at mathematics?
Robert Hansen
7/21/14
Read Re: Is this why Chinese kids are better at mathematics?
Louis Talman
7/21/14
Read RE: Is this why Chinese kids are better at mathematics?
Bishop, Wayne
7/21/14
Read RE: Is this why Chinese kids are better at mathematics?
Bishop, Wayne
7/21/14
Read Re: Is this why Chinese kids are better at mathematics?
Louis Talman
7/21/14
Read Re: Is this why Chinese kids are better at mathematics?
Robert Hansen
7/22/14
Read Re: Is this why Chinese kids are better at mathematics?
GS Chandy
7/22/14
Read Re: Is this why Chinese kids are better at mathematics?
Robert Hansen
7/22/14
Read Re: Is this why Chinese kids are better at mathematics?
GS Chandy
7/22/14
Read Re: Is this why Chinese kids are better at mathematics?
Robert Hansen
7/22/14
Read Re: Is this why Chinese kids are better at mathematics?
GS Chandy
7/23/14
Read Re: Is this why Chinese kids are better at mathematics?
Joe Niederberger
7/23/14
Read Re: Is this why Chinese kids are better at mathematics?
Dave L. Renfro
7/23/14
Read Re: Is this why Chinese kids are better at mathematics?
Louis Talman
7/23/14
Read Re: Is this why Chinese kids are better at mathematics?
Robert Hansen
7/24/14