Topic: Averaging peaks from different arrays of different lengths
Replies: 1   Last Post: Jul 17, 2014 8:25 AM

dpb

Re: Averaging peaks from different arrays of different lengths

On 07/14/2014 5:44 PM, Roberto wrote:
> Hey everybody,
>
> Long time reader, first time poster. I have a doozy of a problem.
> I have a series of data I collected using pressure sensors during
> different test conditions. For each test condition, I repeated the
> measurement four times. Here is a sample of the data -
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6730656/data.png
>
> From this data, I have located the pertinent peaks along with their
> location in the data set.
> I know would like to average the amplitude of the peaks for the four
> repetitions, as well as averaging their position. here is a plot of the
> peaks - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6730656/peaks.png
>
> The problem I am currently encountering is that not all repetitions have
> the same number of peaks. How would I average the peaks (and their
> location)that are with a range from each other?

The time traces in the above are so disparate it wouldn't seem they even
relate to each other, what more that having some "average" would mean
anything.

What's the cause of that; what were you measuring and why is there so
little repeatability in the data is where I'd be concentrating.

> Now, I could match and average the peaks manually, however bear in mind
> I have thousands of these to do.

Indeed, it would appear you have a major problem...I've no useful ideas
regarding the data shown; only that it would seem the experimental setup
needs attention.