Topic: convert file types
Replies: 1   Last Post: Jul 15, 2014 12:41 PM

dpb

Re: convert file types

On 07/15/2014 10:47 AM, Will wrote:
> I'm pretty new to matlab so if anyone could help me out I'd appreciate it.
>
> I would like to import some .dta files into matlab but am having a ton
> of trouble doing so. The solution I came up with is converting the file
> type by opening a command prompt in the folder and changing '.dta' to
> '.txt'. This works but I would really like to automate the whole
> process. Does anyone know how I could write this into a matlab script so
> it will convert the files before trying to import them?

a) What's a ".dta" file?

b) Changing a file extension has nothing whatsoever to do with
"converting" a file, it (the extension) is simply a convenient
identifier for the human and the OS/application "auto-open" facility.

To read these files into Matlab requires knowing the format or having a
conversion facility to some format that Matlab can recognize.

--

Date Subject Author
7/15/14