Topic: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Replies: 139   Last Post: Jul 29, 2014 5:32 PM

Louis Talman

Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers

How interesting. RH's difficulties with language always seem to be rooted
in those he converses with---never in his own use of words. What a
coincidence!

On Wed, 23 Jul 2014 20:39:12 -0600, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:

> On Jul 23, 2014, at 9:31 PM, GS Chandy <chandy.sag@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I suspect you may benefit from doing some courses in ('American')
>> English poetry. On the other hand, you may not. We never know, what
>> with these 'dark forces', 'spies', 'conspiracies', and all.

> And you do not understand english as well as you think. You understand
> it literally, as a second language, but not naturally. I have used the
> word *conspiracy* in exactly this context with a hundred people fluent
> in english and they understand the meaning and implication easily. The
> implication may be subtle, especially to someone who knows english only
> as a second language, but it isn?t hidden. You cannot have the case of
> one million teachers doing the same thing and chalk it up to
> coincidence. The odds are a billion to one. Thus, they must be
> conspiring. Ridiculous? Yes, like your conjecture. That is the meaning
> and the implication.
>
> My quandary is, having a lot of experience with Indians using english as
> a second language, do they not use words in this manner in their native
> tongue? They seem to have a lot of problems with this usage, even after
> you point it out to them a dozen times. Does sarcasm simply not exist in
> India? I can?t believe that it exists in India and yet you can?t
> translate it to English. And it isn?t a big deal if it doesn?t exist,
> just interesting is all. Damn interesting actually.
>
> Bob Hansen

- --
- --Louis A. Talman
Metropolitan State University of Denver

<http://rowdy.msudenver.edu/~talmanl>

Date Subject Author
7/22/14
Read Motivation: killers and enhancers
Joe Niederberger
7/22/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Richard Strausz
7/22/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
GS Chandy
7/22/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Robert Hansen
7/22/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Joe Niederberger
7/23/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Robert Hansen
7/23/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Louis Talman
7/23/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Robert Hansen
7/22/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
GS Chandy
7/23/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Robert Hansen
7/23/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Louis Talman
7/23/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Robert Hansen
7/24/14
Read RE: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Bishop, Wayne
7/24/14
[...]
7/25/14
[...]
Anna Roys
7/25/14
[...]
kirby urner
7/25/14
[...]
7/26/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Anna Roys
7/26/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Anna Roys
7/26/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Robert Hansen
7/26/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Anna Roys
7/26/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Robert Hansen
7/26/14
Read RE: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Bishop, Wayne
7/26/14
Read Re: RE: Motivation: killers and enhancers
GS Chandy
[...]
7/27/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Robert Hansen
7/26/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Joe Niederberger
7/26/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
GS Chandy
7/26/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
GS Chandy
7/27/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Robert Hansen
7/27/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
GS Chandy
7/27/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Robert Hansen
7/28/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
GS Chandy
7/28/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Joe Niederberger
7/28/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Robert Hansen
7/28/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Robert Hansen
7/28/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Joe Niederberger
7/28/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Robert Hansen
7/28/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
TheBarn
7/28/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Richard Strausz
7/28/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Anna Roys
7/28/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Robert Hansen
7/28/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Joe Niederberger
7/28/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Joe Niederberger
7/29/14