Topic: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Replies: 139   Last Post: Jul 29, 2014 5:32 PM

Joe Niederberger

Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers

GS Chandy writes:
- ------------------------------
Robert Hansen (RH) posted Jul 29, 2014 8:23 AM
(http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9532037)

<snip>
> (Robert Hansen):But I do think most
> students benefit greatly from tailor made attention
> to their current state of knowing and learning. (A)
>
> Bob Hansen

Indeed.
- ---------------------

Thanks for that Mr. Chandy -- I think that says a lot. All we need add is that their current state of interests can also be factored into trying to guide their learning experiences.

I think that a lot of the derision that some "real life examples" in textbooks or blogs often draw is not that they are a bad idea in themselves, but that they only speak to some small number of students. For the rest, they become just one more thing that gets thrown at them that they in fact do not care about. It takes great sensitivity to do this kind of tailoring. You can't put it in a can, but people try to anyway.

Cheers,
Joe N

Date Subject Author
7/22/14
Read Motivation: killers and enhancers
Joe Niederberger
7/22/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Richard Strausz
7/22/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
GS Chandy
7/22/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Robert Hansen
7/22/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Joe Niederberger
7/23/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Robert Hansen
7/23/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Louis Talman
7/23/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Robert Hansen
7/22/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
GS Chandy
7/23/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Robert Hansen
7/23/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Louis Talman
7/23/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Robert Hansen
7/24/14
Read RE: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Bishop, Wayne
7/24/14
[...]
7/25/14
[...]
Anna Roys
7/25/14
[...]
kirby urner
7/25/14
[...]
7/26/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Anna Roys
7/26/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Anna Roys
7/26/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Robert Hansen
7/26/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Anna Roys
7/26/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Robert Hansen
7/26/14
Read RE: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Bishop, Wayne
7/26/14
Read Re: RE: Motivation: killers and enhancers
GS Chandy
[...]
7/27/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Robert Hansen
7/26/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Joe Niederberger
7/26/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
GS Chandy
7/26/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
GS Chandy
7/27/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Robert Hansen
7/27/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
GS Chandy
7/27/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Robert Hansen
7/28/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
GS Chandy
7/28/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Joe Niederberger
7/28/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Robert Hansen
7/28/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Robert Hansen
7/28/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Joe Niederberger
7/28/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Robert Hansen
7/28/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
TheBarn
7/28/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Richard Strausz
7/28/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Anna Roys
7/28/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Robert Hansen
7/28/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Joe Niederberger
7/28/14
Read Re: Motivation: killers and enhancers
Joe Niederberger
7/29/14