Topic: 2.36 - Proof without limits or calculus.
Replies: 11   Last Post: Jul 31, 2014 10:17 AM

Scott Berg

Re: 2.36 - Proof without limits or calculus.

On 7/29/2014 1:22 PM, John Gabriel wrote:
> If f(x)=px+q, then prove that for a given interval (a,b), the average value of all the ordinates of f is:
>
> { f(a)+f(b) } / 2 = { pa+q+pb+q } / 2 = p(a+b)/2 + q

what do the { and } mean ?? do you mean ( and ) ?

did you make mistake ?

also you proved that f(a)+f(b) = f(a + b),

how can that be ?

> You may NOT use limits or any of the theorems of calculus.

no need, this is simple algebra.

> The ordinates must either be all positive or all negative.

wrong.

> I might respond to comments on this thread or I might not.

or you will almost not respond, or sort of think about responding, but
your thinking is confuseded, do you have a pet dog ?
Sometimes a pet dog will take over your thinking.