Topic: "Mathematics Is a Quest for Truth"
Replies: 10   Last Post: Aug 7, 2014 9:55 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: "Mathematics Is a Quest for Truth"

Dom Rosa posted Jul 31, 2014 11:40 PM (http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2642261):

> Harry Tamvakis' interesting Opinion piece is on Page
> 703 of the August 2014 AMS Notices:
>
> http://www.ams.org/notices/201407/rnoti-p703.pdf

A most interesting piece indeed. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Professor Tamvakis has rightly suggested that "the question of HOW to teach mathematics in primary
and secondary education" [EMPHASIS mine] is both complicated and of crucial importance (and that it is far from being *effectively* resolved).

His conclusion is especially worth remembering:

>> "Mathematics has been called the music of reason, and
>> we do our children a grave disservice if we reduce it >> to a cacophony of disconnected formulas. Indeed, we
>> risk losing what is perhaps the most precious
>> inheritance of all."

GSC