GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Stupid, absurd, non-defensibl
e: New NEA president Lily Eskelsen
García on Arne Duncan , standard
ized tests and the war on teachers

Message reposted:
+++++
SimSportPlyr posted Aug 5, 2014 9:24 PM (http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2642725) - GSC's remarks interspersed and follow:

> The article seems to boil down to:
>
> "I personally don?t like standardized tests. I think
> they?re a waste of time and money."

That is not quite what the article "boils down to", (IMHO).

> I hope the following is an appropriate question for
> this forum...I'd like to ask what the NEA recommends
> for improving education in grades 1-12, other than
> eliminating standardized testing (include SAT?).
>
> I was not able to find an answer by searching the
> internet.

Here you are:

1. Find out what a 'system' actually is. Understand that a system is quite different from a machine in the way it functions, in the way we need to work in it.

2. Design an effective system to impart *effective* education to the children who are supposed to be the prime beneficiaries of the 'education system'.

That system will have to:

- -- meet the needs of the children to learn various needed things;

- -- take into account in its operations the perceptions, needs and understandings of the other 'stakeholders' in the system, which include the teachers; the parents; and, yes, the Arne Duncans and the Dept. of Education; the 'education experts'; the schools of education; the politicians; and doubtless other groups as well (including other citizens who're interested in education).

3. Implement effectively, making adjustments and changes as needed.

The above does NOT mean you pander to the teachers - or to the publishers; or to the experts; or to the politicians.

It means you need to learn how to create a system that will enable you to accomplish the aims and objectives you want to achieve by way of that system.

It DOES mean that you learn how to develop a workable and 'working consensus' between the stakeholders within the complex system, so that desired objectives are *effectively* accomplished by that system.

All of the above will demand a (very) little learning on the parts of the stakeholders in the system, along with a fair bit of 'unlearning'.

The NEA and its office bearers, as well as Mr Duncan and his team, as well as the other stakeholders in the system - they will all need to do the needed learning and 'unlearning'.

The 'unlearning' is the hard part. Without needed unlearning, the needed learning cannot happen.

GSC