Topic: Concrete to abstract in dividing fractions?
Replies: 8   Last Post: Aug 24, 2014 12:26 PM

kirby urner

Re: Concrete to abstract in dividing fractions?
att1.html (7.6 K)

Another thing I've been wondering about is how formally do we care to
introduce the concept of "fraction" in relation to "rational number"?

In some contexts we tend to equate these two, but the 1/pi has meaning, and
is what I'd call "a fraction" in the sense that it has a numerator (1) and
a denominator (pi), it's just that they're not both rational.

Even if we don't hand compute "continued fractions" in elementary grades, I
do think we should more than hint that these exist. If you have a computer
handy, then it's a great workout with parentheses and such to practice
writing one. Let me try:

>>> 1 + 1/(1 + 1/(1 + 1/(1 + 1/(1 + 1/(1 + 1/1)))))
1.6153846153846154

I see "+ 1/(1" as a repeating pattern that needs an ending and beginning.
I might write a program that returns an expression such as the above as a
string type thing, a quoted expression, that I then evaluate for real:

>>> def cont(n):
... return "1 " + "+ 1/(1" * n + "+ 1/1" + ")" * n
>>> cont(10)
'1 + 1/(1+ 1/(1+ 1/(1+ 1/(1+ 1/(1+ 1/(1+ 1/(1+ 1/(1+ 1/(1+ 1/(1+
1/1))))))))))'

>>> eval(cont(10))
1.6180555555555556

I'll be having stack problems pretty soon maybe. This is *not* the most
efficient way to write a continued fractions calculator, believe you me.

Some of you may have recognized that the number that's emerging or being
converged to is possibly the familiar constant Phi, right up there with Pi
in name recognition surveys, though more people can say 3.141 than 1.618
from recall memory (an empirical fact, not evidence that either is a
morally superior number).

[Sorry: I don't have any citations handy and if you know of a survey where
people are asked about "famous numbers" (e, pi, phi, 911) I'd be interested
in a link. Thanks in advance. ]

Confining "fractions" to mean "rational numbers" is a worthwhile step in at
least some lesson plans, as then we're getting back into the fact that
numbers come in types, as in "types of number".

The schema we follow is usually: N < W < Z < Q < R < C where W is big
during New Math days as "whole numbers" i.e. the set of counting numbers
(N) plus zero. Those were but a subset of integers (Z) which are rational
numbers (Q) embedded in reals (R) which are all themselves the real part of
complex (C) i.e. the reals are a subset of the complex numbers.

I'd say Whole Numbers on the whole get less attention since the Reagan Era,
and we just go straight from N to Z and don't make that much buzz about
zero being added to N to give W. I could be wrong about that and it would
vary by curriculum and school. The complex plane had its hay day with the
Mandelbrot T-shirts. I suggest keeping all that and continuing the reap
the benefits. However I digress from the topic at hand.

We should distinguish between "fractional notation" which uses the division
operator, from "fractions as number p/q where p, q are members of Z such
that p/q is a member of Q". The expression 1/pi has plenty of meaning even
if pi is a member of R but not of Q.

Kirby