Topic: The New Calculus
Replies: 12   Last Post: Aug 28, 2014 5:38 PM

Louis Talman

Re: The New Calculus

On Thu, 28 Aug 2014 12:12:15 -0600, Wayne Bishop
<wbishop@exchange.calstatela.edu> wrote:

> My experience was very similar to Lou's but I do not consider that first
> shallow understanding of limit to have been a waste of time anymore than
> the first introduction to Mathematical Induction. Yes, most of those of
> us who can go through the mechanics appropriately sort of have the
> feeling that we are only parroting what our instructor wants. However,
> over time, we cultivate a deeper understanding that I do not believe
> occurs as easily without those first baby steps.

I certainly had no intent to suggest otherwise, though I could probably
been more explicit about my beliefs.

I *was* asked to think about the epsilon-delta definitions for limit and
for continuity in freshman calculus--but not very deeply. I was required
to learn the definitions, and to be able to recite them on exams, but I
was never asked to use one of them in a proof. And, although my calculus
sequence required that I learn what were then the standard freshman
calculus proofs, I was told that I would not be asked to do any
epsilon-delta proofs.

If you want to see the course I took, find a copy of the two-volume
textbook "Calculus with Analytic Geometry," by Melcher P. Fobes and Ruth
Smyth,

It wasn't until the last semester of my four-semester sequence that I was
asked to do anything with epsilons, and that was to show that some easy
sequences converged to their limits. I got the full epsilon-delta story
in my advanced calculus course, and by the end of that course, I was
showing, for example, that certain sequences of functions converged
uniformly on certain intervals.

I've never thought that memorizing the definitions during my freshman year
contributed very much to later understanding, though. The "baby steps" I
took that year toward understanding the limit/continuity concepts were
simply intuitional and computational. And yet, as Wayne has suggested,
they weren't wasted efforts by any means.

- --Lou Talman
Metropolitan State University of Denver

<http://rowdy.msudenver.edu/%7Etalmanl>