The Math Forum

Topic: 0 = 1
Replies: 101   Last Post: Oct 6, 2017 12:07 PM

Peter Percival

Re: 0 = 1

FromTheRafters wrote:
> It happens that Conway Lovett formulated :
>> On Wednesday, October 4, 2017 at 6:12:09 AM UTC-5, FromTheRafters wrote:
>>> conway used his keyboard to write :

>>> This reminds me of a story my father once told me. One time he said
>>> he was shopping for groceries in the little store we frequented. A
>>> man comes in and says he is moving and asks the proprietor if he has
>>> any empty boxes he can have. The store owner asks him "Empty boxes of
>>> what?"

>> Well said....an empty box is still something. We can show how one
>> empty box has something different in it as compared to another. It is
>> impossible for anyone to have or represent nothing......go ahead
>> try...you will always have something....just not the thing in
>> question.....

> I thought that you would like that anecdote.

I was reminded of a story told during "the troubles"
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Troubles). Someone, accosted by a
group of things, would be asked if they were Catholic or Protestant.
"I'm an atheist" came the reply. "Yes, but are you a Catholic atheist
or a Protestant atheist?"

to me what you really mean.

Date Subject Author
9/6/17