The Math Forum

Topic: Mathematics, consensus, John Baez
Replies: 66   Last Post: Sep 28, 2017 11:46 AM

zelos.malum@outlook.com

Re: Mathematics, consensus, John Baez

On Friday, September 15, 2017 at 4:00:41 AM UTC+2, David Petry wrote:
> On Thursday, September 14, 2017 at 5:14:34 PM UTC-7, Jim Burns wrote:
> > On 9/14/2017 3:01 PM, David Petry wrote:
>
> > > But, that intuition can be axiomatized--it's the principle
> > > of falsifiability.

> > Where are these axioms of that intuition?

> It's been a few years, but I did show you exactly which statements about Turing machines are falsifiable and which are not. And then I argued, admittedly without presenting a proof, that all of the mathematical statements that are relevant to science can be reduced to falsifiable statements about Turing machines.
>
> At this point, I feel I really need an explanation for why you invest so much time and effort in these discussions. Should I assume it's for the same reasons that Archie and Ross participate? Why should I spend time responding to you? Please explain.

So you can learn something rather than remain ignorant?

As for axioms relevant to science, how about you ask about those that use calculus, which requires axiom of infinity.

Date Subject Author
9/11/17
Read Mathematics, consensus, John Baez
davidlpetry@gmail.com
9/11/17
Read Re: Mathematics, consensus, John Baez
Martin Shobe
9/12/17
Read Re: Mathematics, consensus, John Baez
davidlpetry@gmail.com
9/12/17
Read Re: Mathematics, consensus, John Baez
Martin Shobe
9/13/17
Read Re: Mathematics, consensus, John Baez
FromTheRafters
9/13/17
Read Re: Mathematics, consensus, John Baez
Martin Shobe
9/12/17
Read Re: Mathematics, consensus, John Baez
R.J.Chapman
9/12/17
Read Re: Mathematics, consensus, John Baez
Jim Burns
9/12/17
Read Re: Mathematics, consensus, John Baez
wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de
9/12/17
Read Re: Mathematics, consensus, John Baez
FromTheRafters
9/12/17
Read Re: Mathematics, consensus, John Baez
wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de
9/13/17
Read Re: Mathematics, consensus, John Baez
FromTheRafters
9/12/17
Read Re: Mathematics, consensus, John Baez
Tucsondrew@me.com
9/13/17
Read Re: Mathematics, consensus, John Baez
wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de
9/13/17
Read Re: Mathematics, consensus, John Baez
Tucsondrew@me.com
9/13/17
Read Re: Mathematics, consensus, John Baez
wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de
9/13/17
Read Re: Mathematics, consensus, John Baez
Tucsondrew@me.com
9/14/17
Read Re: Mathematics, consensus, John Baez
wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de
9/14/17
Read Re: Mathematics, consensus, John Baez
Tucsondrew@me.com
9/12/17
Read Re: Mathematics, consensus, John Baez
davidlpetry@gmail.com
9/12/17
Read Re: Mathematics, consensus, John Baez
Peter Percival
9/12/17
[...]
9/15/17
Read Re: Mathematics, consensus, John Baez
zelos.malum@outlook.com
9/15/17
Read Re: Mathematics, consensus, John Baez
wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de
9/15/17
Read Re: Mathematics, consensus, John Baez
Tucsondrew@me.com
9/15/17
Read Re: Mathematics, consensus, John Baez
wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de
9/15/17
Read Re: Mathematics, consensus, John Baez
Tucsondrew@me.com
9/16/17
Read Re: Mathematics, consensus, John Baez
wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de
9/14/17
Read Re: Mathematics, consensus, John Baez
Jim Burns
9/14/17
Read Re: Mathematics, consensus, John Baez
davidlpetry@gmail.com
9/14/17
Read Re: Mathematics, consensus, John Baez
Jim Burns
9/14/17
Read Re: Mathematics, consensus, John Baez
davidlpetry@gmail.com
9/15/17
Read Re: Mathematics, consensus, John Baez
zelos.malum@outlook.com
9/15/17
Read Re: Mathematics, consensus, John Baez
FredJeffries@gmail.com
9/15/17
Read Re: Mathematics, consensus, John Baez
Martin Shobe
9/17/17
Read Re: Mathematics, consensus, John Baez
FredJeffries@gmail.com
9/17/17
Read Re: Mathematics, consensus, John Baez
Martin Shobe
9/17/17
Read Re: Mathematics, consensus, John Baez
mitch
9/17/17
Read Re: Mathematics, consensus, John Baez
wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de
9/12/17
Read Re: Mathematics, consensus, John Baez
Jim Burns
9/12/17
Read Re: Mathematics, consensus, John Baez
conway
9/13/17
Read Re: Mathematics, consensus, John Baez
Peter Percival
9/13/17
Read Re: Mathematics, consensus, John Baez
FromTheRafters
9/13/17
Read Re: Mathematics, consensus, John Baez
Dan Christensen
9/14/17
Read Re: Mathematics, consensus, John Baez
zelos.malum@outlook.com
9/14/17
Read Re: Mathematics, consensus, John Baez
FromTheRafters
9/14/17
Read Re: Mathematics, consensus, John Baez
Martin Shobe
9/15/17
Read Re: Mathematics, consensus, John Baez
FromTheRafters
9/15/17
Read Re: Mathematics, consensus, John Baez
Martin Shobe
9/15/17
Read Re: Mathematics, consensus, John Baez
FromTheRafters
9/28/17
Read Re: Mathematics, consensus, John Baez
David Bernier
9/14/17
Read Re: Mathematics, consensus, John Baez
jsavard@ecn.ab.ca
9/14/17