The Math Forum

Topic: First Quantity and the infinitely small
Replies: 38   Last Post: Sep 24, 2017 5:18 AM

FredJeffries@gmail.com

Re: First Quantity and the infinitely small

On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 10:06:49 AM UTC-7, Jim Burns wrote:
> On 9/19/2017 11:54 PM, Chris M. Thomasson wrote:
>

> > Fwiw, I have always wondered about quantifying planck
> > "pixels", as-if they can somehow go even smaller. Think
> > about the 3, 4, 5 triangle in planck grid, is there such
> > a thing as half way across the hypotenuse in this "rigid"
> > system? Na, that would violate integer... Is there is such
> > a thing as a 1, 1, sqrt(2) triangle in planck system, that
> > have hypotenuse's that are not integers? Is simply way
> > too crazy?

> We don't seem to have any physics consensus yet on how
> that would work. Certainly such a thing is way above my
> pay grade.
>
> However, I think we need to keep in mind, when we wonder how
> such a thing could be, that this is quantum mechanics we're
> talking about. Quantum electrodynamics works by summing up
> all the possible paths that, for example, an electron and a
> positron might take when they interact. _If there is a grid_
> (something I can't begin to say), the grid might only be
> actually used in a sum over all possible grids or something
> like that.

Grids seem too rigid and deterministic. Perhaps it's more like a foam with bubbles of various (and varying) sizes popping into and out of existence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_foam

> Please, no one take this as _actual_ physics-talk.
> This is intended to be more along the lines of
> "Who can say? Quantum is weird."

Date Subject Author
9/18/17
Read First Quantity and the infinitely small
mitchrae3323@gmail.com
9/18/17
Read Re: First Quantity and the infinitely small
FromTheRafters
9/18/17
Read Re: First Quantity and the infinitely small
mitchrae3323@gmail.com
9/18/17
Read Re: First Quantity and the infinitely small
FromTheRafters
9/18/17
Read Re: First Quantity and the infinitely small
mitchrae3323@gmail.com
9/19/17
Read Re: First Quantity and the infinitely small
FromTheRafters
9/19/17
Read Re: First Quantity and the infinitely small
Jim Burns
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
9/18/17
Read Re: First Quantity and the infinitely small
conway
9/19/17
Read Re: First Quantity and the infinitely small
mitchrae3323@gmail.com
9/19/17
Read Re: First Quantity and the infinitely small
Bill
9/22/17
Read Re: First Quantity and the infinitely small
Peter Percival
9/19/17
Read Re: First Quantity and the infinitely small
William Elliot
9/19/17
Read Re: First Quantity and the infinitely small
mitchrae3323@gmail.com
9/19/17
Read Re: First Quantity and the infinitely small
FromTheRafters
9/19/17
Read Re: First Quantity and the infinitely small
Leon Aigret
9/19/17
Read Re: First Quantity and the infinitely small
William Elliot
9/19/17
Read Re: First Quantity and the infinitely small
mitchrae3323@gmail.com
9/20/17
[...]
Chris M. Thomasson
9/20/17
Read Re: First Quantity and the infinitely small
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
9/20/17
Read Re: First Quantity and the infinitely small
Jim Burns
9/22/17
Read Re: First Quantity and the infinitely small
FredJeffries@gmail.com
9/22/17
Read Re: First Quantity and the infinitely small
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
9/20/17
Read Re: First Quantity and the infinitely small
netzweltler
9/20/17
Read Re: First Quantity and the infinitely small
bassam king karzeddin
9/24/17