The Math Forum

Topic: There are no axioms or postulates in Greek mathematics, only in mythmatics.
Replies: 5   Last Post: Sep 28, 2017 1:40 PM

Jan Burse

Re: There are no axioms or postulates in Greek mathematics, only in
mythmatics.

A lot of text understanding has to do with things
like "A Theory of Cognitive Dissonance (1957),
Leon Festinger". Reading is making sense into texts.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance

And you assume that the author, you assume this
for a math author, that he doesn't give you an
anyway false list of statememts.

The much simpler example is this:

3 = 3/1

We compare a rational number and a natural
number. Strictly speaking the above statement
is false, if we see ./. as an abbrevation

for the usual pair construction of rational
numbers, because N and N x N are usually disjoint,
also equaivalence class from P(N x N) are disjoint

to N x N. So implicitly we all the time move
objects from one type to another. Otherwise we
would just read non-sense.