The Math Forum

Topic: It is a very bad idea and nothing less than stupid to define 1/3
= 0.333...

Replies: 31   Last Post: Oct 3, 2017 3:02 AM

jsavard@ecn.ab.ca

= 0.333...

On Monday, October 2, 2017 at 12:45:50 AM UTC-6, netzweltler wrote:

> Correct. Time is of no concern. So, let me modify the list:
>
> t = 0: write 0.9
> t = 0.9: append another 9
> t = 0.99: append another 9

> 1. write 0.9
> 2. append another 9
> 3. append another 9
>
> Do you still agree that this is a _complete_ list of all the actions needed to write 0.999... (already present - in no time)? It is a list of additions as well. All the additions it takes to sum up to 0.999...
> Again the question:
> If your claim is, that we reach point 1, you need to show which step on this list of infinitely many steps accomplishes that.

The claim is not that 1 is reached during the doing of those actions, even at
the "end" of doing them - but an endless list of an infinite number of actions
*has* no end. That's why it's called "endless".

Instead, 1 is the limit of that endless list.

So 1 can stand outside the endless list, and yet still be the limit. Because the
limit is not part of the actions themselves.

John Savard

Date Subject Author
= 0.333...
mitchrae3323@gmail.com