The Math Forum

Topic: Re: It is a very bad idea and nothing less than stupid to define 1/3
= 0.333...

Replies: 42   Last Post: Oct 9, 2017 11:53 AM

Jim Burns

= 0.333...

On 10/3/2017 8:20 AM, FromTheRafters wrote:

> But 0.999 repeating is a rational number, no need for repeating
> decimals at all in the naturals. Repeating zeros is okay I guess,
> but why use them in the naturals. In the rationals and reals,
> repeating zeros are called 'terminating' decimal expansions and
> the trailing zeros are elided.

Infinite decimals represent real number "fractions".
The need for 0.999..., such as it is, is for _some real number_
to be assigned appropriately to every infinite decimal expansion.
It's the same reason we assign the infinite decimal 0.1234000...
to the terminating decimal 0.1234. We want 0.1234000... to be
_something_ . What else would it be?

Date Subject Author
= 0.333...
Guest