The Math Forum

Topic: Re: It is a very bad idea and nothing less than stupid to define 1/3
= 0.333...

Replies: 42   Last Post: Oct 9, 2017 11:53 AM

Jim Burns

= 0.333...

On 10/3/2017 3:25 PM, netzweltler wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 3. Oktober 2017 16:20:25 UTC+2
> schrieb Jim Burns:

>> On 10/3/2017 3:21 AM, netzweltler wrote:

[...]

>>> Sorry, no. The meaning of "..." is absolutely clear in this
>>> context and

>> Is it clear to you? Really?
>>
>> I ask because the basis for your whole complaint, in many
>> threads, is that '...' means "infinitely many commands" in
>> some way but then you're all "Whoa! that makes no sense, guys".
>> It does not look to me as though _what you think_ '...'
>> means in this context is at all clear _to you_ .
>>
>> ( _What you think_ it means is not what it means. This is
>> _my_ point.)

> Sorry, I don't get what you are trying to teach me.

Do you understand our first exchange? I'm not asking if you
_agree_ with me. Do you _understand_ me?

<Burns<netzweltler>>

> Do you agree that 0.999... means infinitely many
> commands
> Add 0.9 + 0.09
> Add 0.99 + 0.009
> Add 0.999 + 0.0009
> ...?

0.999... does not mean infinitely many commands.

</Burns<netzweltler>>

Date Subject Author
= 0.333...
Guest