The Math Forum

Topic: There is the infinitely small difference for .999 repeating and
One quantities

Replies: 5   Last Post: Oct 2, 2017 11:51 PM

Bill

Re: There is the infinitely small difference for .999 repeating and
One quantities

mitchrae3323@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, October 2, 2017 at 3:54:56 PM UTC-7, John Gabriel wrote:
>> On Monday, 2 October 2017 18:31:36 UTC-4, mitchr...@gmail.com wrote:
>>> They are quantities with nothing in between.
>>>
>>> Mitchell Raemsch

>> Nope. If the distance between any two points is zero, then they are the same point.
> What I am saying is they are infinitely close quantities
> with nothing in between. They are not the same point
> but share a sameness by being together closest.

"be being together closest"? Your grammar is almost as bad as your math...
1 = .99999...
In fact, every rational with non-repeating decimal representation, also
has a representation which repeats. Besides the example above, .35
=.349999..., for instance. The "sameness" about them is called "equality".