The Math Forum

Topic: Finally the discussion is over: S = Lim S is a bad definition.
Replies: 2   Last Post: Oct 6, 2017 5:58 AM

Dan Christensen

Re: Finally the discussion is over: S = Lim S is a bad definition.

On Thursday, October 5, 2017 at 4:52:59 PM UTC-4, John Gabriel wrote:
> On Thursday, 5 October 2017 15:09:12 UTC-4, burs...@gmail.com wrote:
> > That ...
>

> > You "decimal" means 10, so this a base 10 digit series.
> > On the otherhand this one here is not a decimal, base 10,
> > representation:
> >
> > 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 + ... = 1

> 5/10 + 25/100 + 125/1000 + .... = 1

So, NOT 0.875... as you originally claimed. Whew! I thought we were going to have to ban converging series now. Or did I miss that decree?

Dan