The Math Forum

Topic: Can two series, both diverges, multiplied give a series that converges?
Replies: 22   Last Post: Oct 7, 2017 12:52 AM

William Elliot

Re: Can two series, both diverges, multiplied give a series that
converges?

On Fri, 6 Oct 2017, konyberg wrote:

> Consider these two series. s = lim (n=1 to inf) Sum(1/n) and t = lim
> (n=1 to inf) Sum(1/(1+n)). Both series diverges, going to infinity.
> Now if we multiply these, we can argue that every product of the new
> series is smaller or equal to 1/n^2. So it should converge. Or can
> we? Let us write the first as a series without the sigma and the
> other with sigma. s*t = (1+1/2+1/3+ ...) * t. And since the first
> from s (1 * t) diverges, how can s*t converge?

s.t = sum(n=1,oo) 1/n(n+1)

Since for all n in N, 0 < 1/n(n+1) < 1/n^2
and sum(n=1,oo) 1/n^2 converges, s.t converges by comparison theorem.

sum(n=1,oo) 1/n^2 converges by integeral test.

Date Subject Author
10/6/17
Read Can two series, both diverges, multiplied give a series that converges?
Karl-Olav Nyberg
10/6/17
Read Re: Can two series, both diverges, multiplied give a series that converges?
Markus Klyver
10/6/17
Read Re: Can two series, both diverges, multiplied give a series that converges?
Karl-Olav Nyberg
10/6/17
Read Re: Can two series, both diverges, multiplied give a series that converges?
Karl-Olav Nyberg
10/6/17
Read Re: Can two series, both diverges, multiplied give a series that
converges?
Peter Percival
10/6/17
Read Re: Can two series, both diverges, multiplied give a series that converges?
Karl-Olav Nyberg
10/6/17
Read Re: Can two series, both diverges, multiplied give a series that
converges?
Mike Terry
bursejan@gmail.com
10/6/17
Read Re: Can two series, both diverges, multiplied give a series that converges?
bursejan@gmail.com
10/6/17
Read Re: Can two series, both diverges, multiplied give a series that
converges?
Mike Terry
10/6/17
Read Re: Can two series, both diverges, multiplied give a series that converges?
Karl-Olav Nyberg
10/6/17
Read Re: Can two series, both diverges, multiplied give a series that converges?
Karl-Olav Nyberg
10/7/17
[...]
Jan Bielawski