The Math Forum

Topic: It is a very bad idea and nothing less than stupid to define 1/3
= 0.333...

Replies: 3   Last Post: Oct 20, 2017 11:38 AM

bursejan@gmail.com

= 0.333...

But how would you correct it? What should Euler have
written? What should we write, when we intend a limit?
For example:

pi = 3.141592653589793238462643383279...

Is prefectly fine, it means nothing else than a limit.
It doesn't say that there is a partial sum, which equals
pi. This is anyway not possible, since pi is irrational.

So what do you offer bird brain John Gabriel, except
"junkology"? Should we take courses in bozophism at the
university of bozostan in bozolumpur?