The Math Forum

Topic: implicit functions and constant functions
Replies: 4   Last Post: Nov 1, 2017 3:56 AM

magidin@math.berkeley.edu

Re: implicit functions and constant functions

On Monday, October 30, 2017 at 8:52:24 AM UTC-5, Popping mad wrote:
> I read this line from a Dartsmouth program and I'm confused by it
>

> >> in this case, f (x, y) = x2 + y2 and g(x, y) is the constant function
> >> 1.

> what is a constant function in this case where there are two independent
> variables (x,y)

A function f:D->E is "constant" if for any x and y in D, f(x)=f(y).

It doesn't matter what the domain (or codomain) are; it just means any two inputs give the same output.

--
Arturo Magidin