Topic: Unit sets
Replies: 71   Last Post: Dec 20, 1997 6:23 PM

Jim Balter

Re: Zeno (Was Re: Unit sets)

feldmann@bsi.fr wrote:

> Yes, I completely agree. As you will have to stand my poor English, i
> will try not to wander too much, but a lot of things could also be said
> about authority arguments (like Aristotle saying heavy weights fall
> faster than light ones) and the fact 1500 years were needed for someone
> (Galileo, of course) to make the experiment... Think about that one: is
> it so clear that 1) Aristotle was, therefore ,a complete idiot (he is
> supposed to be the cleverest man of his times, and for good reasons) 2)
> Before Galileo, everybody was unable to see the evidence (just try
> letting fall a big rock and a small pebble, and watch) 3) Or you would be
> burned by the Church if you dare say that Aristotle was not ,after all,
> perfect?

Galileo didn't actually have to do the experiment, and there is a very
good chance that he never did. Since the left half of an object
falls at the same rate as the whole object, Aristotle was obviously
full of hooey; that's the way I figured it out when the question was
posed in 7th grade and I was too lazy to go out and try measuring it.
I was delighted to discover years later that Galileo had imagined a
heavy object and a light object tied together with a string and
came to the same conclusion; none of this tower of Pisa urban legend
for him.

--
<J Q B>

Date Subject Author