Topic: Re: The probability of boys
Replies: 19   Last Post: Dec 24, 1997 6:29 PM

Jim Balter

Re: The probability of boys

No SPAM wrote:

> Dennis Rakestraw <drakestraw@hotmail.com> wrote in article
> <882203102.2049048581@dejanews.com>...
> [stuff deleted]
>

> > If a man says, "of my two children at least one is a boy," what is the
> > probability that both are boys? The answer, oddly, is not "50-50."

> [more stuff deleted]
>
> A finer example of sexism in mathematics will ne'er be found.
>
> If men who have one boy and one girl are as likely to start,
> "of my two children at least one is a girl" as they are to start,
> "of my two children at least one is a boy", then the answer is
> indeed 50-50.

Bzzzt! Wrong. If the man (or woman) says "at least one boy",
then the chances are 1/3 that the other is a boy.
If the man (or woman) says "at least one girl",
then the chances are 1/3 that the other is a girl.
That's where the parity comes in.

If you want to avoid sexism, then just phrase the problem
differently every other time.

--
<J Q B>