Topic: Baseball Problem
Replies: 1   Last Post: Nov 18, 2003 2:21 PM

F. Alexander Norman

Re: Baseball Problem

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Jim wrote:

> I have this baseball field problem and I wanted to know if anyone had
> the math skills to catch this one.

Not without some additional information.

> Okay, Theres a baseball field and the distance along the first base
> foul line and the third base foul line is 320 feet to the outfield
> wall.

Let's call the points where the 1st and 3rd base lines meet the outfield
wall R and L respectively. I'll label various points in your message with
[]s

> The distance frome the home plate [H] throught 2nd base [B]

> all the way to the outfield wall in center field [C]
> is 407 feet. Therefore, since the homefield plate is 90 degrees

do you mean to say that the first and third base lines meet at right
angles?

> what is the degrees in the out field walls

does your outfield wall run along a straight line segment from R to C
and from L to C? If not, what sort of curved path does it follow --
parabola? two circular arcs?

> and the distance of the outfield wall from the 1st base line to
> the 2nd base line?

what's the 2nd base line? do you mean HC? or AB? or something different?

Can you be more precise? ...perhaps, referring to the crude diagram
below, describe what angle you're wanting to find.

*

L | R
* | *
\ | /