Topic: Serra's Discovering Geometry, Rhoad's Geometry for Enjoyment
Replies: 17   Last Post: Jul 10, 2013 10:45 AM

Lynn Stallings

Re: Serra's _Discovering Geometry_

At 10:23 AM 4/3/95 -0600, Tom McDougal wrote:
>The merits of the Rhoad book didn't become apparent to me until I saw it in
>use with kids. Similarly, I thought the Serra book was really neat until I
>saw it in use with kids.

Serra is an advocate of cooperative learning and, perhaps for that reason,
his book seems better suited to a different teaching scenario than a
one-to-few tutoring relationship (which seems to be what you've
experienced).

Might it be that some books are better for use with larger groups and some
better for individual learning?

Lynn Stallings
Mathematics Education Department
The University of Georgia