The Math Forum

Search All of the Math Forum:

Views expressed in these public forums are not endorsed by NCTM or The Math Forum.

Math Forum » Discussions » Math Topics » geometry.pre-college

Notice: We are no longer accepting new posts, but the forums will continue to be readable.

Topic: (none)
Replies: 0  

Advanced Search

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List  
William P. Berlinghoff

Posts: 21
Registered: 12/6/04
Posted: Mar 12, 1994 8:43 AM
  Click to see the message monospaced in plain text Plain Text   Click to reply to this topic Reply

As a writer re-entering the world of secondary-school geometry after too
long an absence, I seek guidance:

1) What is the current standard notation for --
-- the line through points A and B ?
-- the ray from A through B ?
-- the line segment connecting A and B ?
-- the length of the segment connecting A and B?

2) How is "angle" defined? Here are some contemporary, conflicting
examples taken from relatively recent secondary geometry texts:

Clemens & Clemens: An angle is made up of two rays with a
common endpoint.

Lang & Murrow: Two rays starting from the same endpoint separate
the plane into two regions. Each one of these regions will be
called an angle determined by the rays.

Serra: An angle is two rays that share a common endpoint, provided
that the two rays do not lie on the same line.

Thanks for any light you can shed on these questions.

(Note: If you're seeing this query for the second time, I apologize.
I thought I had sent it before, but it didn't show up in my e-mail as a
message from the Forum, so I'm trying again.)

Bill Berlinghoff

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in this topic.

[Privacy Policy] [Terms of Use]

© The Math Forum at NCTM 1994-2018. All Rights Reserved.