From usenet Thu Feb 25 10:02 PS 1993
From: Dover-Sherborn High School <doversherhs@igc.apc.org>
Newsgroups: geometry.pre-college
Date: 25 Feb 93 10:02 PST
Subject: Re: Two-column Proofs
Sender: Notesfile to Usenet Gateway <notes@igc.apc.org>
Nf-ID: #R:1lu2q8$1tc@forum.swarthmore.edu:1046557005:cdp:1800700002:000:1078
Nf-From: cdp.UUCP!doversherhs Feb 25 10:02:00 1993

I am a student of Dover-Sherborn high, and a member
of Mister Groves sophmore geometry class and we have done
equal numbers of two column proofs and paragraph style
proofs, and I have found paragraph style the most usefull.
The paragraph style encourages us to write down all we
know, but the two column proof only needs or asks for a
certain thing. The paragraph lets you write something not so
specific but will help you along in your completion of the
paragraph style proof. Also the paragraph style will make
all those insignifigant (supposedly) in your head, and when
the next proof comes you will remember them, when they
are more important than they were in the last proof. As a
matter of fact the two column proof is not letting me retain
all those "insignifigant" facts. If right now you asked me to
do a proof I did not know how to do, but it involved basics of
triangles, rectangles and what not, and you asked me to do it
in paragraph. If you asked me to do it in two columns I
probably wouldn't even get the first step let alone
completion.