From daemon Sun Aug 29 21:16:03 1993
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1993 20:15:48 -0500
From: Kathy Eleanor Dowell <kdowell@tenet.edu>
To: pow@forum.swarthmore.edu (Problem of the Week)
Subject: Re: Problem of the Week

Where is the solution? This problem has been driving me crazy!!!

Anyone solve this yet? (The old problem, for your reference,
is below.)

*****

The problem of the week is a regular instalment here
at the geometry forum. Each weekend a high-school level
geometry problem will be posted (though levels may be
different in the summer), and the following weekend a
summary of solutions will be posted.

Please do not post solutions to the problem of the week;
instead mail you answer along with as detailed a
description of your method as necessary/possible
to pow@forum.swarthmore.edu. Solutions should be
received by midnight Friday so they can be combined
and posted over the weekend.

Problem of the Week 8/16 - 8/20 1993

You are given 27 rectangular solids of dimensions a,b,c. How can they be
packed to fit into a cube whose sides are a + b + c? (One should add that
a, b, and c are not too different. If c/a and c/b were extremely large,
for instance, it would be trivial to stack them like logs. A precise
statement would be something like (a+b+c)^3 - 27abc < abc.)

Again, DO NOT POST SOLUTIONS. Mail them to
pow@forum.swarthmore.edu by Friday.

From usenet Mon Aug 30 18:36 PD 1993
From: Dover-Sherborn High School <doversherhs@igc.apc.org>
Newsgroups: geometry.pre-college
Date: 30 Aug 93 18:36 PDT
Subject: JOURNAL
Sender: Notesfile to Usenet Gateway <notes@igc.apc.org>

Journal Entry-General
8-30-93

This is the first entry in my on-line journal. I am planning to share
every practical aspect of my teaching of four high school geometry
classes ... mission, objectives, strategies, implementation,
assessment models, problems, etc.

I plan to follow Joan Countryman's advice and suspend the editor-
in-my-head and just write. Otherwise I know that I could easily
spend hours writing and rewriting my entries and eventually slip
into despair. So please forgive the grammatical errors, the typos,
and the random nature of my thoughts and entries. I will attempt
to label the entries in a useful manner. (i.e. Journal Entry-General)

First set of questions:
1. Does this sound like a good idea?
2. Should I simply start a strand and post all my entries in it?

My goal in making this effort is to learn. All feedback is welcome!

Keith Grove
Dover-Sherborn High School
Dover, MA 02030
1-508-634-9952 (home)