Topic: Help with the ladder problems
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
Glenn J Ponas

Help with the ladder problems

There were some interesting problems posted recently. They involve a
ladder touching a 1x1x1 box and a wall. I'd love to give them in my
secondary math methods course as brainstorming activities, but (and I have
to be honest here, even though it hurts) I erased the answer posts and I am
having difficulty getting a solution by myself that does not involve fourth
degree polynomials.

If you have a solution to either of the problems listed below, please send
them to me via e-mail (gjpst6+@pitt.edu). It would be greatly appreciated.

Problem 1:
4m ladder, 1x1x1m box. How high up the wall does the ladder touch?

Problem 2:
The ladder touches the wall 7 (?) meters off the ground. How long
is the ladder?

Glenn J. Ponas, gsa, math ed E-Mail: gjpst6+@pitt.edu
University of Pittsburgh Address: 4H56 Forbes Quadrangle
DIL, School of Education Pittsburgh, PA 15260
(on loan from Pittsburgh Public Schools) Phone: (412) 624-7246

From usenet Mon Sep 20 17:13 PD 1993
From: Dover-Sherborn High School <doversherhs@igc.apc.org>
Newsgroups: geometry.pre-college
Date: 20 Sep 93 17:13 PDT
Subject: Used Serra Books?
Sender: Notesfile to Usenet Gateway <notes@igc.apc.org>

serra book requestTEXTMSWD5(>zy(>|Fw4A friend of mine suggested that one person's garbage is another
erson's treasure. I hope she is right.
I am looking for used or damaged copies of DISCOVERING
EOMETRY by Michael Serra (Key Curriculum Press) that someone
as lying around or is about to throw out. I need a minimum of15
nd would be interested in as many as 60. The math department
t my high school is all for the switch to the Serra book, but has
ecently bought new geometry books -- therefore it will be 2-3
ears before the next round of purchases. I can't wait that long.
Please let me know if you can help!
Thanks!!
Keith Grove
doversherhs@igc.apc.org