Topic: DSHS: Business Should Pick Up
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
Keith Grove

DSHS: Business Should Pick Up

November 12, 1993

The second term begins Monday and I think the action is about to=
=20
pick up. Please stay tuned.

During the second term, each student will be asked to write a=20
weekly journal entry containing: what was learned, how it was=20
learned, and any questions. The ideas I believe will be for=20
individual students to slant their writing to particular audiences=
-=20
i.e. those interested in Sketchpad, those interesting in the learning
process, those interested in linking Geometry with personal=20
interests, etc. One question which we will have to address is how=
=20
many and whose entries will we post? =20

I am assuming that those of you who will be reading these journals=
=20
will choose your thread and begin relationships with a few=20
students. We'll stay flexible at our end and see what makes the=
=20
most sense.

There seems to be several possible threads at the moment:
1. Sketchpad=20
2. Student teachers at Harvard's School of Education
3. Staff at EDC
4. Project LITMUS in Georgia
5. Students with students
6. Research into students' interests or concerns and the possible
relationships with Geometry=20
7. People available to read journals and post problems

Below I am going to list possible contacts for certain areas. I'm=
=20
sure that I am not going to have all the facts correct, that I will=
=20
miss people and/or list them inappropriately, etc. More regular=
=20
dialogue will clarify these kind of details. Feel free to add or=
delete=20
your name from any category. Feel free to add or delete=20
categories. Just feel free.

What I am fairly certain about at this point is that I'm not able=
to=20
imagine what I hope will happen between now and the end of the=20
school year -- the operative word will most certainly be "chaos".=
=20

Geometry Forum Advisors:
(Available for Everything)

=80Annie Fetter -<annie@forum.swarthmore.edu>
-Geometry Forum -Project Director

=80Steve Weimar <sweimar1@cc.swarthmore.edu>
-Geometry Forum=20

Dover-Sherborn Advisor

=80Ritchie Cummings <doversherhs>=20
-Dover-Sherborn Schools, Director of Technology

Sketchpad:

=80Bill Finzer <wff@well.sf.ca.us>
-Key Curriculum Press -Educational Technology Director

=80John Olive <jolive@abel.math.uga.edu>
-University of Georgia -Project LITMUS=20

=80Kenneth Koedinger <kklu+@andrew.cmu.edu>
-Carnegie Mellon University -researcher=20

Students to Students:

=80Ruth Carver <mountsj@tigger.jvnc.net>
-Mount St. Joseph Academy, Flourtown, PA=20

Student Teachers (Schools of Education):

=80Claryce Evans <evanscl@hugse1.harvard.edu>=20
-Harvard School of Education=20

General Resources

=80Michelle Manes <manes@acs.bu.edu>=20
-Educational Development Corporation (EDC)

=80Bridget Arvold <arvold@moe.coe.uga.edu>
-University of Georgia =20

=80Diane Nolan <dnolan@unlinfo.unl.edu>
-University of Nebraska-Lincoln -graduate student

=80Claire Grodon <cgrodon@bbn.com>
-Buckingham,Brown, & Nichols -teacher

Other Resources

-John Conway <conway@and.Princeton.EDU>
-Princeton University=20

-Rick Wicklin <fjw@geom.umn.edu>
-Geometry Center=20

-Brian Harvey <bh@anarres.CS.Berkeley.EDU>=20
-University of California, Berkeley =20

-Neil Calkin <calkin@math.gatech.edu>=20
-Georgia Tech=20

-Peter Appelbaum <APPELBAUM@zodiac.rutgers.edu>=20
-professor

-Dale Pearson <pearson@geom.umn.edu>=20

-Francosis de Ferriere <ferriere@gr.osf.org>
-Grenoble, France -engineer

-William Littlewood <billl@cs.umb.edu>=20
-engineer

Serra Textbook:

=80Don Specht and Francie Ball <dspecht@mwc.vak12ed.edu>
Clarke County High School, Berryville, VA=20

Diane Nolan, dnolan@unlinfo.unl.edu
-University of Nebraska-Lincoln -graduate student

Pam B. Newberry <pnewberr@vdoe386.vak12ed.edu>
George Wythe High School, Wytheville, Va.=20

Melissa Dalton <mdalton@vdoe386.vak12ed.edu>
Rural Retreat High School, Rural Retreat, VA =20

Sheila King <Sheila.King@f315.n103.z1.fidonet.org>
Castle of the Four, Diamond Bar, CA

Bob Reynolds <rreynol@discovery.oar.net>
Loveland, OH =20

--------------------

A few more bits of information:

We will be spending considerable time in the MAC computer lab=20
working with Sketchpad. My hope is that several students will=20
"take off" with this software, write about their experiences and=
=20
post both their journals and their sketches. (There is a possibility=
=20
of a research project with Key Curriculum Press!) No fewer that=
26=20
students have IBM's or MAC's and would like to work on Sketchpad=
=20
at home.

Approximately ten students have already begun a dialogue with=20
Steve Weimar around three problems which he posted about one=20
month ago. This has been very interesting and has begun to=20
change the nature of my interactions with these students. =20

Three other students have begun a more personal dialogue on a=20
regular basis.

I plan to follow a fairly methodical approach for now, i.e. I will=
=20
propose an investigation and have students collecting data,=20
formulating conjectures, and solving problems of the variety that=
=20
appear in the Serra text. In the near future I hope that many=20
students will gain the confidence and skills to pose their own=20
questions and follow their own agendas. This "stream-like" process=
=20
has already begun with several of the students and Steve.=20

Annie Fetter at the Forum will be setting up an account for each=
of=20
the four geometry classes. The students will choose a name shortly=
=20
-- I'll let you know what they decide and post a class lists for=
each=20
account.

That's all for now except --I would like to publicly thanks=20
everyone at the Forum, especially Annie -- Ritchie Cummings, the=
=20
technology expert at Dover-Sherborn -- and my good friend Steve=20
Weimar. =20

keith

Keith E.Grove <keith@forum.swarthmore.edu> =20
66 Dutcher Street,Hopedale,MA 01747-1005
Dover-Sherborn High School,Box 190,Dover,MA 02030 =
=20
=20

From usenet Thu Nov 11 13:11 PS 1993
From: Dover-Sherborn High School <doversherhs@igc.apc.org>

[...]

[...]