Newsgroups: geometry.pre-college
Subject: Games
I am drawn to use games as a way to entice students to practice
skills and explore concepts.
Are there some games you have found particularly useful?
I have created a domino type game for practicing facts, and names
for specific quadrialteral shapes. Each domino is divided into two parts:
one end consists of a quadrilateral shape, like isosceles trapezoid, and the
other end of the domino contains text. The text takes on two forms: NAMES
of specific quadrilateral shapes, or text that describes the properties of
the shape (e.g. exactly two sides parallel, two congruent sides).
I will use this game primarily to help my students refine the
definition of specific shapes, and their names. Hopefully, the recreational
nature of the activity will provide some motivation. Time will tell!
Can you think of other uses for this activity?
Can you suggest changes which would make this game more useful?