Topic: Radius of the Incircle Puzzle
Replies: 8   Last Post: Apr 6, 1994 3:03 PM

Annie Fetter

Radius of the Incircle Puzzle

This was sent to me by Susan Ross, who got it from.....

If you get it, send a copy to jgus@tenet.edu, Judie Gustafson, as well as
posting it on the list.

-Annie

Date: Tue, 8 Mar 94 15:28:25 EST
From: Susan Ross <sross@moe.coe.uga.edu>
To: annie@forum.swarthmore.edu
Subject: Problem

Hi Annie,

This just came across from a source at UGA. As I am having trouble posting to
the forum, I thought this might be a good place to post and get some responses.

*****************
I am having a problem that I am needing some help with. I teach hs precalculus
and am coach of the UIL math team. One of the problems we had on the last
test has stumped me and I need to learn how to work it in case we run into
another one like it. If anyone can and will help me with the following problem
I would appreciate it. Thanks. I need more than the answer. I need to know
how to work it and/or where to go to learn how to work it.

Problem:
Given a triangle with sides 5, 6, and 7, what is the radius of the incircle?

jgus@tenet.edu
Judie Gustafson
Math Department Chairman
Manor High School
P.O. Box 679
Manor, Texas 78653

Can you post it and see if we can get any responses.

Thanks
Susan