Drexel dragonThe Math ForumDonate to the Math Forum

Search All of the Math Forum:

Views expressed in these public forums are not endorsed by Drexel University or The Math Forum.

Math Forum » Discussions » Math Topics » geometry.puzzles.independent

Topic: What's an eleven sided polygon called??
Replies: 21   Last Post: Feb 3, 2004 7:44 PM

Advanced Search

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List Jump to Tree View Jump to Tree View   Messages: [ Previous | Next ]
F. Alexander Norman

Posts: 141
Registered: 12/3/04
Re: 11 sided polygon
Posted: Nov 19, 2003 9:54 AM
  Click to see the message monospaced in plain text Plain Text   Click to reply to this topic Reply

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 nwerneck@cefala.org wrote:

> What about Gauss' poligon? was it an heptadecagon, heptacaidecagon or
> decaheptagon?

If JHC is taken as the ultimate authority on such things then
heptakaidecagon would be the preferred term, though I gather
from reading his and others' commentaries that heptadecagon (the term I've
always used) is acceptable.

I don't know about decaheptagon -- would that be 70 angles?

Of course, 17-gon is probably the term least subject to misinterpretation.


Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in this topic.

[Privacy Policy] [Terms of Use]

© Drexel University 1994-2015. All Rights Reserved.
The Math Forum is a research and educational enterprise of the Drexel University School of Education.