Topic: Cabri & Sketchpad compared; tool then object
Replies: 7   Last Post: May 25, 1995 10:03 AM

Lynn Stallings

Re: tool then object

At 2:57 PM 5/19/95 +0100, Dave Wilson wrote:
>>I recall, vaguely, some time ago that Nicholas(?) said that Sketchpad was
>explicitly using the metaphors of object then tool, in that you first
>select the object(s), and then the appropriate tool to have the desired
>effect.
>Cabri reverses this, tool then object, in that you select the tool and then
>the objects you wish them to operate upon.

I've used Sketchpad for 4 or 5 years and have just played with
Cabri in the last year or so. Cabri's "tool then object" (perhaps "action
then object" or "operation then object") feels more intuitive to me.
Realizing that made me remember how many times I've seen students go to a
menu and the choice they want is greyed out because they've not first
selected the object. I wonder what Sketchpad's rationale is for "object
then tool."

Lynn Stallings
Mathematics Education Department
105 Aderhold Hall