Topic: rectangular to polar coordinates
Replies: 2   Last Post: Oct 26, 1999 10:19 AM

Jon Roberts

Re: rectangular to polar coordinates
Axesunts.gsp (4.3 K)

Hi Tom,

I'm guessing that you are doing this in GSP, and I've done a similar
thing in Cabri. I did it in Cabri using a macro and you maybe could do it
through a script.

You would need a reference segment from (0,0) to (1,0) which you would
use to norm the x-step and the y-step of the segment you wanted the
length of. Then construct the segments that are the x-step and the
y-step, and fins their lengths in inches or cm, and find the length of
the reference segment in the same units. Divide the x- and y-steps by the
reference length and use those values with pythagoras to calculate the
length of the segment in axes' units. If you can put all of that into a
script it will give you what you want - the length of a segment in axes'
units.

The construction works in GSP and I have attached a sketch (the built in
notation tends the clutter the screen a bit). I guess it depends on
whether it can be scripted.
Good luck.

Regards,

Jon Roberts