Topic: Jamie Escalante Endorses Mathematically Correct Program
Replies: 28   Last Post: Jul 3, 1996 4:43 PM

Tom Scavo

Re: Jamie Escalante Endorses Mathematically Correct Program

In article <31C8DF29.3527@gold.tc.umn.edu>,
Karl M. Bunday <bunda002@gold.tc.umn.edu> wrote:
>Charles J. Masenas wrote:
>>
>> Anyone know if the NCTM standards have a champion of the stature of
>> Jaime Escalante? Has any NCTM proponent had the success Escalante
>> has demonstrated?

>GOOD QUESTION. I'd like to hear the answer to this one too.

Yes, her name is Marilyn Burns. Besides her numerous books, you
should check out her training videos to really see what she can
accomplish in a classroom. If we had a Marilyn Burns in every
elementary classroom in America, we wouldn't even be having this
debate. She's a master teacher.

I'm not sure why people are holding up Jaime Escalante as a
counterexample to the Standards. Is anyone claiming that his
methods work at the elementary level? I hope not...

Best regards,
--
Tom Scavo
mailto:trscavo@syr.edu

Date Subject Author
6/14/96
Read Jamie Escalante Endorses Mathematically Correct Program
David L. Hanson
6/16/96
Read Re: Jamie Escalante Endorses Mathematically Correct Program
garscosi@pipeline.com
6/17/96
Read Re: Jamie Escalante Endorses Mathematically Correct Program
Karen M. Sours
6/17/96
Read Jamie Escalante Endorses Mathematically Correct Program
Karl M. Bunday
6/19/96
Read Re: Jamie Escalante Endorses Mathematically Correct Program
Charles J. Masenas
6/19/96
Read Re: Jamie Escalante Endorses Mathematically Correct Program
garscosi@pipeline.com
6/20/96
Read Jamie Escalante Endorses Mathematically Correct Program
Karl M. Bunday
6/23/96
Read Re: Jamie Escalante Endorses Mathematically Correct Program
Tom Scavo
6/24/96
Read Re: Jamie Escalante Endorses Mathematically Correct Program
David L. Hanson
6/25/96
Read Re: Jamie Escalante Endorses Mathematically Correct Program
dproop@compunet.net
6/27/96
Read Re: Jamie Escalante Endorses Mathematically Correct Program
Alberto C Moreira
6/29/96
Read What is the Purpose of Math Education?
garscosi@pipeline.com
6/30/96
Read Re: What is the Purpose of Math Education?
TeacherBud
6/30/96
Read Re: What is the Purpose of Math Education?
Alberto C Moreira
6/30/96
Read Re: What is the Purpose of Math Education?
garscosi@pipeline.com
7/1/96
Read Re: What is the Purpose of Math Education?
Brian M. Scott
7/2/96
Read Re: What is the Purpose of Math Education?
garscosi@pipeline.com
7/2/96
Read Re: What is the Purpose of Math Education?
TeacherBud
7/3/96
Read Re: What is the Purpose of Math Education?
garscosi@pipeline.com
6/30/96
Read Re: What is the Purpose of Math Education?
Herman Rubin
6/30/96
Read Re: What is the Purpose of Math Education?
Mario Taboada
7/3/96
Read Re: Jamie Escalante Endorses Mathematically Correct Program
garscosi@pipeline.com
6/27/96
Read Re: Jamie Escalante Endorses Mathematically Correct Program
Redyarrow
6/27/96
Read Re: Jamie Escalante Endorses Mathematically Correct Program
Herman Rubin
6/27/96
Read Re: Jamie Escalante Endorses Mathematically Correct Program
Sy Friedman
6/25/96
Read Re: Jamie Escalante Endorses Mathematically Correct Program
Charles J. Masenas
6/27/96
Read Re: Jamie Escalante Endorses Mathematically Correct Program
Donna Mettler
6/20/96
Read Re: Jamie Escalante Endorses Mathematically Correct Program
garscosi@pipeline.com
6/22/96
Read Re: Jamie Escalante Endorses Mathematically Correct Program
Judy Payne