The Math Forum

Topic: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Replies: 331   Last Post: Feb 25, 1997 12:07 AM

Steve McGrew

Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?

In article <01bbcf92$e0dbd9e0$bb5192cf@178136520worldnet.att.net>, "Michael Hodges" <mwhodges@msn.com> wrote:
>[snip] The system keeps
>out many of the best (especially engineers who might take a leave of
>absence to teach, or retired top engineers and scientists). No way are they
>going to waste their time with education courses, but no way can a science
>teacher who has not been in industry motivate students by going to the
>blackboard and showing them how they can build up the math to cause a
>satellite to reach its objective, or how to computer model auto tests for
>the best crash-resistant materials. Real applications is what it often
>takes to help students understand "why math and physics".

There *are* ways around this problem. I'm not a professional teacher, but
several times a year I do hands-on science workshops in local schools.
Evidently there are not many volunteers who do this. However, I get a great
reception from teachers, administrition and students. I'm sure that channels
could be set up in almost any school district to get engineers & scientists
from the community to come in & do the kinds of real-world stuff you are
talking about.

Recently, in response to a gap I perceived in the science curriculum in a
local school, I called up a group of professors at area colleges and invited
them to help put together a week-long science enrichment program to fill the
gap. Everyone I asked agreed to participate. The principal and science
teachers at the school are cooperating. And, another school in the area has
asked to have the program presented there as well.

It takes gumption and dedication and a willingness to work for no pay, but it
can be done.

Steve

| Steve McGrew, President | stevem@comtch.iea.com |
| New Light Industries, Ltd. | Phone: (509) 456-8321 |
| 9713 W. Sunset Hwy | Fax: (509) 456-8351 |
| Spokane, WA 99204 USA | http://www.iea.com/~nli |

Date Subject Author
11/9/96
Read Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Michael Hodges
11/9/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Richard
11/9/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Michael Hodges
11/9/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
BJ Chadwick
11/10/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
David Hole
11/10/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Melvin Billik
11/10/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Richard
11/9/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Ankit Desai
11/10/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
ChemTeam@clubnet.net
11/10/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Flame Wine
11/10/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Michael Hodges
11/11/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Chris & Sheila King
11/11/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Flame Wine
11/11/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Michael Hodges
11/11/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
BJ Chadwick
11/11/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Chris & Sheila King
11/11/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Chris & Sheila King
11/15/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Michael Hodges
11/16/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Chris & Sheila King
11/16/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Michael Hodges
11/27/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Sue James
11/11/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Chris & Sheila King
11/27/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Sue James
11/29/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Herman Rubin
11/29/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
David Hole
11/29/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Michael Hodges
11/30/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
loushery@pacbell.net
11/11/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Flame Wine
11/10/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Michael Hodges
11/10/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Richard
11/10/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Richard
11/10/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Michael Hodges
11/11/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Robert A. Wightman
11/11/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Robert A. Wightman
11/14/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Michael Hodges
11/10/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Richard Alvarez
11/10/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Richard
11/10/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
ChemTeam@clubnet.net
11/11/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Jim Lyons
11/11/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Michael Hodges
11/14/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Gerald A. de Jong
11/14/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Michael Hodges
11/11/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Persuter
11/11/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Jim Lyons
11/11/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Michael Hodges
11/13/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Ankit Desai
11/11/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Steve McGrew
11/11/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
me
11/14/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Frank Warner
11/15/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Michael Hodges
11/9/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Gregory Shenaut
11/10/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Michael Hodges
11/11/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Gregory Shenaut
11/13/96
Read Re: Why are we worse...?
anne528@aol.com
11/13/96
Read Re: Why are we worse...?
Richard Alvarez
11/14/96
Read Re: Why are we worse...?
garscosi@pipeline.com
11/15/96
Read Re: Why are we worse...?
Richard Alvarez
11/15/96
Read Re: Why are we worse...?
Michael Hodges
11/20/96
Read Re: Why are we worse...?
BL052862-O'Dell
11/10/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
gedmonds@pe.net
11/10/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Richard
11/10/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
jul
11/14/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Michael Hodges
11/16/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
jul
11/16/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Michael Hodges
11/17/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
jul
11/17/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Joseph Davidchik
11/17/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
JSA
11/18/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
jul
11/18/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Joseph Davidchik
11/18/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Bob and Sue Militello
11/19/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Gary A. Wirsing
11/18/96
[...]
Patrick Joseph Tierney
11/19/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Bob and Sue Militello
11/19/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Michael Hodges
11/10/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Flame Wine
11/10/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Michael Hodges
11/11/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
TRM
11/11/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Michael Hodges
11/11/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
BJ Chadwick
11/11/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Michael Hodges
11/13/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Herman Rubin
11/13/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
BJ Chadwick
11/15/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Powell Jay
11/15/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Jim Lyons
11/15/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Michael Ames Connor
11/16/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Jim Lyons
11/17/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Herman Rubin
11/21/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Michael Ames Connor
11/22/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
al willis
11/22/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Jim Lyons
11/22/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Herman Rubin
11/22/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Michael Hodges
11/23/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Michael Ames Connor
11/24/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Michael Hodges
11/24/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Ted Johnson
11/24/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Michael Ames Connor
11/25/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
J. Clarke
11/25/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Michael Ames Connor
11/26/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Herman Rubin
11/27/96
Read Communication, collaboration skills
Michael Ames Connor
11/28/96
Read Re: Communication, collaboration skills
Herman Rubin
11/28/96
Read Re: Communication, collaboration skills
Melvin Billik
11/29/96
Read Re: Communication, collaboration skills
J. Clarke
11/30/96
Read Re: Communication, collaboration skills
Alberto C Moreira
12/1/96
Read Re: Communication, collaboration skills
Michael Ames Connor
12/8/96
Read Re: Communication, collaboration skills
sunset01@tpgi.com.au
11/29/96
Read Re: Communication, collaboration skills
Melvin Billik
11/29/96
Read Re: Communication, collaboration skills
Dan Underwood
11/30/96
[...]
Brian M. Scott
12/5/96
Read Teacher Planning/Collaboration Time (Was: Re: Why are we worse in math & science than...)
Michael Ames Connor
12/5/96
Read Re: Teacher Planning/Collaboration Time (Was: Re: Why are we worse in math & science than...)
Keith.Minkel, Lake.Mills, IA
12/5/96
Read Re: Teacher Planning/Collaboration Time (Was: Re: Why are we worse in math & science than...)
Philip Cain
12/5/96
Read Re: Teacher Planning/Collaboration Time (Was: Re: Why are we worse in math & science than...)
jul
12/6/96
Read Re: Teacher Planning/Collaboration Time (Was: Re: Why are we worse in math & science than...)
sasha@access.mountain.net
12/5/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Michael Ames Connor
12/5/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Michael Hodges
12/6/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Teach
12/6/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
sockeye
12/7/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Alberto C Moreira
12/9/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Powell Jay
12/7/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Jeffrey J. Dietz
12/9/96
[...]
Read Re: Vouchers as solution to education problems
Michael Ames Connor
11/24/96
Read Tracking, college costs
Michael Ames Connor
11/24/96
Read Re: Tracking, college costs
Marc
11/25/96
Read Re: Tracking, college costs
Rusnak
12/2/96
Read Re: Tracking, college costs
daniela@boisdarc.etsu.edu
11/23/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
me
11/24/96
Read Lax Maple Leaf College Requirements = Was: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Michael Ames Connor
11/27/96
Read Re: Lax Maple Leaf College Requirements = Was: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Michael Hodges
11/28/96
[...]
Velvet S. Clay
11/19/96
[...]
Read Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?
Michael Ames Connor
11/28/96
Read Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?
Alberto C Moreira
12/1/96
Read Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?
Michael Ames Connor
12/2/96
Read Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Richard Jensen
12/3/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
kathyd@microserve.net
12/7/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Michael Hodges
12/9/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Stan Hollenbeck
12/9/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Herman Rubin
12/10/96
Read Re: Ability grouping: Evidence, anyone?
Michael Ames Connor
12/11/96
Read Re: Ability grouping: Evidence, anyone?
Herman Rubin
12/11/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Powell Jay
12/9/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Powell Jay
12/11/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Michael Hodges
12/11/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Herman Rubin
12/13/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Michael Hodges
12/14/96
[...]
12/12/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Alberto C Moreira
12/14/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Keith.Minkel, Lake.Mills, IA
12/14/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Alberto C Moreira
12/16/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Keith.Minkel, Lake.Mills, IA
11/28/96
Read Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?
Brian M. Scott
12/1/96
Read Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?
Leon James
12/3/96
Read Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?
Alberto C Moreira
12/5/96
Read Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?
Philip Cain
11/28/96
Read Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?
Herman Rubin
12/1/96
Read Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?
Leon James
12/3/96
Read Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?
Powell Jay
12/4/96
Read Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?
Michael Ames Connor
11/27/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Herman Rubin
11/28/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
S. McLain
12/18/96
Read Re: Ability grouping (was:Re: Affective learning in mathematics; What is math?)
Elise Swope
11/16/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Bridgette and John Moore
11/16/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Joseph Davidchik
11/16/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Michael Hodges
11/17/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
John T. Klausner
11/19/96
Read Public costs, firing "bad teachers"
Michael Ames Connor
11/23/96
Read Re: Public costs, firing "bad teachers"
Grinch
11/23/96
Read Re: Public costs, firing "bad teachers"
David Hole
11/23/96
Read Re: Public costs, firing "bad teachers"
Ted Johnson
11/24/96
Read Re: Public costs, firing "bad teachers"
Michael Ames Connor
12/7/96
Read Re: Public costs, firing "bad teachers"
Diane Zobel
12/8/96
Read Re: Public costs, firing "bad teachers"
Michael Ames Connor
12/13/96
Read Re: Public costs, firing "bad teachers"
Eric Fowler
12/13/96
Read Re: Public costs, firing "bad teachers"
Marc Whitaker
12/15/96
Read Re: Public costs, firing "bad teachers"
Michael Ames Connor
12/8/96
Read Standards for working with others
Michael Ames Connor
12/12/96
Read Re: Public costs, firing "bad teachers"
Jim Glass
12/12/96
Read Re: Public costs, firing "bad teachers"
Karl Dussik
12/13/96
Read Re: Public costs, firing "bad teachers"
John Evans
11/23/96
Read Re: Public costs, firing "bad teachers"
Melvin Billik
11/23/96
Read Re: Public costs, firing "bad teachers"
Marc
11/26/96
Read Re: Public costs, firing "bad teachers"
djune50605@aol.com
11/26/96
Read Re: Public costs, firing "bad teachers"
Melvin Billik
11/23/96
Read Re: Public costs, firing "bad teachers"
Melvin Billik
11/23/96
Read Re: Public costs, firing "bad teachers"
BJ Chadwick
11/23/96
Read Re: Public costs, firing "bad teachers"
Ted Johnson
11/23/96
Read Re: Public costs, firing "bad teachers"
Ted Johnson
11/24/96
Read Re: Public costs, firing "bad teachers"
Michael Ames Connor
11/27/96
Read Re: Public costs, firing "bad teachers"
Kristin Phillips
11/27/96
Read Re: Public costs, firing "bad teachers"
Marc
11/30/96
Read Re: Public costs, firing "bad teachers"
Kristin Phillips
11/30/96
Read Re: Public costs, firing "bad teachers"
Marc Whitaker
12/2/96
Read Re: Public costs, firing "bad teachers"
bcr
12/2/96
Read Re: Public costs, firing "bad teachers"
David Hole
2/18/97
Read Re: Public costs, firing "bad teachers"
Gack
2/18/97
Read Re: Public costs, firing "bad teachers"
Marc
2/18/97
Read Re: Public costs, firing "bad teachers"
Jim
2/19/97
Read Re: Public costs, firing "bad teachers"
Gack
2/21/97
Read Re: Public costs, firing "bad teachers"
mikevano@ix.netcom.com
2/23/97
Read Re: Public costs, firing "bad teachers"
Karl M. Bunday
2/25/97
Read Re: Public costs, firing "bad teachers"
Chuck McCafferty
11/28/96
Read Re: Public costs, firing "bad teachers"
jul
11/28/96
Read Re: Public costs, firing "bad teachers"
Richard A. Woolley
12/2/96
Read Re: Public costs, firing "bad teachers"
Eric Fowler
12/2/96
Read Re: Public costs, firing "bad teachers"
Marc Whitaker
12/3/96
Read Re: Public costs, firing "bad teachers"
Eric Fowler
12/9/96
Read Re: Public costs, firing "bad teachers"
Powell Jay
12/10/96
Read Re: Public costs, firing "bad teachers"
sockeye
11/25/96
Read Re: Public costs, firing "bad teachers"
John B. Tant, N4XAN
11/24/96
Read Re: Public costs, firing "bad teachers"
Melvin Billik
11/24/96
Read Re: Public costs, firing "bad teachers"
Melvin Billik
11/25/96
Read Re: Public costs, firing "bad teachers"
Michael Ames Connor
11/10/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Joyce Howard
11/11/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Michael Hodges
11/11/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Steve McGrew
11/11/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Richard
11/12/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Michael Hodges
11/11/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Patrick Joseph Tierney
11/12/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Michael Hodges
11/11/96
Read Re: THANKS TO ALL (Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?)
Michael Hodges
11/11/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Flame Wine
11/13/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Ankit Desai
11/11/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
James David Button
11/11/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Michael Hodges
11/11/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Dean Deters
11/14/96
[...]
Read Re: Why are we worse ... [some data]
William I. Johnston
11/12/96
Read Re: Why are we worse ... [some data]
Michael Hodges
11/18/96
Read Re: Why are we worse ... [some data]
dow1
11/18/96
Read Re: Why are we worse ... [some data]
Michel Piche
11/12/96
[...]
Read Concepts Was: Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Herman Rubin
11/16/96
Read Re: Concepts Was: Re: Why are we worse in ma
Redyarrow
11/19/96
[...]
clange@callisto.uwinnipeg.ca
11/18/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Marie Lewis
11/18/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
jul
11/19/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Michael Hodges
11/19/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Marie Lewis
11/22/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Richard Alvarez
12/13/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
Alberto C Moreira
12/14/96
Read Re: Why are we worse in math & science than foreign nations?
David Brown