Topic: Inclusion research
Replies: 1   Last Post: Feb 1, 1997 2:06 PM

neubert@mentor.cup.edu

Re: Inclusion research

In article <57dl6m$v2p@b.stat.purdue.edu>, hrubin@b.stat.purdue.edu (Herman Rubin) writes:
>In article <329A513D.310F@con2.com>, Lou Goldstein <loug@con2.com> wrote:
>>I agree that it is frustrating when some children lose their opportunity
>>to learn in order to help someone else. But let's not be so cavalier
>>about deciding whose opportunity to sacrifice. If your child were the
>>one being locked away and deprived of the opportunity to reach her full
>>potential, you might not be so willing to have special ed kids settle
>>for education in the (limited) skills that will gear them for their
>>(limited) role in society.

>Nobody is suggesting that children lose their opportunity to learn.
>But anyone who cannot recognize that children with different abilities
>and preparation should not be learning in the same manner and at the
>same rate just because they are the same age is ignorant, stupid, or
>a Marxist social engineer type.

>>Beyond that, if you wish to persuade the public that inclusion is a bad
>>idea, it is incumbent upon you to come up with an alternative strategy
>>that meets statutory and constitutional requirements of equity,

>I suggest we get rid of most of the statutory stupidity; children are
>not of equal ability. There are no Constitutional requirements for
>children of different abilities to be in the same classroom.
>
>allows

>>those special ed students who have the capacity to do so to learn as
>>much as their regular ed peers,

>I would like to see EVERYONE who places children by age removed from
>the serious business of teaching. A genius and someone with limited
>mental capacity should not be in the same classroom, and neither of
>them should be in the same classroom with "normal" children. Even
>normal children are sufficiently varied to require different educational
>programs.
>
>and gives special ed students the social

>>exposure and acceptance they need in order to become full and equal
>>participants in society. But don't just throw them out of the regular
>>ed classroom and leave them stigmatized, marginally-educated, and out of
>>sight.

>If two children do not have sufficiently similar "smarts" that their
>individual optimal rate of progression in a given subject are close
>to equal, they should not progress in the same manner. If a school
>cannot do this, it does not deserve the title of educational.
>--
>Herman Rubin, Dept. of Statistics, Purdue Univ., West Lafayette IN47907-1399
>hrubin@stat.purdue.edu Phone: (317)494-6054 FAX: (317)494-0558

I have not read these newsgroups for some time, but seem to remember some
good math-related advice from Prof. Rubin. I am now glad he added these
pedagogical comments. I couldn't agree more...and as a parent who has
had to fight the social engineering educational establishment (read:
public ed. BOEs!!!!) for years.