The Math Forum

Topic: are teachers responsible for making class 'fun'?
Replies: 32   Last Post: May 8, 1997 4:57 PM

Steve McGrew

Re: are teachers responsible for making class 'fun'?

>In article <01bc3bdb$55b170e0$LocalHost@good>, "Greg Goodknight" <good@nccn.net> writes:
>
>|> Whether you have a "good" teacher or a "bad" teacher you had better figure
>|> it out and remember. Since the student is the only one who is truly helped
>|> when the student learns, and is the only one directly harmed if no learning
>|> takes place, I suggest only the student (and their parents if they are
>|> children) can be said to be responsible. It follows that if a student is
>|> not learning (by their own metric) they should be free to enroll in another
>|> class or another school.

This is dangerous logic. It is equivalent to saying that if the
teacher's methods injure a student, the student is responsible.

In article <5i2vuq$rei$1@mdnews.btv.ibm.com>, u6420@btv.vnet.ibm.com (Charles
J. Masenas) wrote:

>When it comes to inspiration, some teachers have it, some don't. It is not OK
>for a teacher to be uninspiring. Those that can't inspire should find another
>job.

You're right. But it should also be said that the ability to inspire
can be *learned*, unless a person is defective. I'd sure like to see teacher
training courses put some emphasis into teaching teachers to make learning
fun.

Steve

| Steve McGrew, President | stevem@comtch.iea.com |
| New Light Industries, Ltd. | Phone: (509) 456-8321 |
| 9713 W. Sunset Hwy | Fax: (509) 456-8351 |
| Spokane, WA 99204 USA | http://www.iea.com/~nli |

Date Subject Author
3/22/97
Read Re: are teachers responsible for making class 'fun'?
Mr. fresian (the grass is always greener on the other side...)
3/22/97
Read Re: are teachers responsible for making class 'fun'?
Kirby Urner
3/22/97
Read Re: are teachers responsible for making class 'fun'?
Mr. fresian (the grass is always greener on the other side...)
3/22/97
Read Re: are teachers responsible for making class 'fun'?
Mr. fresian (the grass is always greener on the other side...)
4/1/97
Read Re: are teachers responsible for making class 'fun'?
Oralethea Davenport
4/2/97
Read Re: are teachers responsible for making class 'fun'?
Marc Whitaker
4/4/97
Read Re: are teachers responsible for making class 'fun'?
Steve McGrew
4/6/97
Read Re: are teachers responsible for making class 'fun'?
Greg Goodknight
4/16/97
Read Re: are teachers responsible for making class 'fun'?
Marc Whitaker
4/17/97
Read Re: are teachers responsible for making class 'fun'?
Jesu
4/19/97
Read Re: are teachers responsible for making class 'fun'?
Philip R. Antokal
4/21/97
Read Re: are teachers responsible for making class 'fun'?
Ol' Vic
4/22/97
Read Re: are teachers responsible for making class 'fun'?
Falchion
4/24/97
Read Re: are teachers responsible for making class 'fun'?
Chris & Sheila King
4/22/97
Read Re: are teachers responsible for making class 'fun'?
PCI Systems Lab 4
4/21/97
Read Re: are teachers responsible for making class 'fun'?
Falchion
4/26/97
Read Re: are teachers responsible for making class 'fun'?
loushery@pacbell.net
4/22/97
Read Re: are teachers responsible for making class 'fun'?
Philip Cain
4/22/97
Read Re: are teachers responsible for making class 'fun'?
loushery@pacbell.net
4/24/97
Read Re: are teachers responsible for making class 'fun'?
S.Schaub
4/25/97
Read Re: are teachers responsible for making class 'fun'?
Geoff Dellow
4/25/97
Read Re: are teachers responsible for making class 'fun'?
Richard Alvarez
4/28/97
Read Re: are teachers responsible for making class 'fun'?
TRM
4/29/97
Read Re: are teachers responsible for making class 'fun'?
Philip Cain
4/29/97
Read Re: are teachers responsible for making class 'fun'?
Philip Cain
5/1/97
Read Re: are teachers responsible for making class 'fun'?
Ruth & John Griffiths
5/4/97
Read Re: are teachers responsible for making class 'fun'?
Tory Klementsen
5/4/97
Read Re: Tory:are teachers responsible for making class 'fun'?
jon brent
5/6/97
Read Re: Tory:are teachers responsible for making class 'fun'?
Tory Klementsen
5/6/97
Read Re: are teachers responsible for making class 'fun'?
jon brent
5/8/97
Read Re: are teachers responsible for making class 'fun'?
Ulrich Williams
5/8/97