Topic: College Admissions
Replies: 15   Last Post: Jul 31, 2000 11:38 PM

Brian Harvey

Re: College Admissions

Looking for guidance <none@none.com> writes:
>I'm curious as to what math background the people who get accepted to
>some of the Ivy League schools have. It is of interest to me because
>I am a junior that shall complete multivariable calculus in the next
>week and want to know where I stand (mathematically) with a typical
>applicant. Do I stand a chance since everyone is taking and
>understanding calculus earlier nowaday's?

Aargh. Is this a troll? (I ask because of the namelessness of the
poster.) "I'm two years ahead of everyone in math. Is that good
enough to get me into college?" If this is a legitimate question,
it says a lot about the crazy-making college admissions process today.

But anyway, here's an answer: If you want to get into a very
competitive college, think quality, not quantity. The person who
reads your application will be looking for some evidence that you've
studied all this math (or anything else) because you're actually
interested in it, not because it's your strategy for getting into
college. What have you done besides assigned homework?

submissions: post to k12.ed.math or e-mail to k12math@sd28.bc.ca
private e-mail to the k12.ed.math moderator: kem-moderator@thinkspot.net