Topic: College Admissions
Replies: 15   Last Post: Jul 31, 2000 11:38 PM

Brian Harvey

Re: Re College admissions

aeron@hotmail.com writes:
>And every student in a "real college class" of Calculus I is actually
>INTERESTED in Calculus?

You're right, of course, about college calculus. I was thinking more
of the high schools where everyone routinely takes AP econ, AP history,
AP bio, AP physics... The college versions of those courses aren't
required for everyone like calculus (and English, the other often-bad
freshman college course).

Many high school AP courses are excellent. I didn't mean to ruffle the
feathers of AP teachers! But I'm dubious, still, about a high school
program in which all of senior year and half of junior year is AP
courses in every subject. That distorts what the AP program is supposed
to be about, imho.

submissions: post to k12.ed.math or e-mail to k12math@sd28.bc.ca
private e-mail to the k12.ed.math moderator: kem-moderator@thinkspot.net