Replies: 18   Last Post: Mar 4, 1999 12:38 AM

Michael Deakin

Re: [HM] Hegel and seven planets

A frivolous note:

In the summer of 1963, Joel Cohen, then still an undergraduate, got a
scholarship to spend the quarter at the University of Chicago where I
had just arrived as a Ph D student. He was clearly both very
talented and very ambitious. This reference on horses of different
colours etc occupied him as a pasttime, but he was also doing very
interesting "real research" eg into information theory & music --
both subjects on which he knew a great deal. There was never any
suggestion that his jocular article on horses & their legs was
entirely 'original'. I rather think all the jokes it contained were
in the urban folklore by then. Certainly, Cohen wasn't plagiarising
Carroll! I'm pleased to hear that it was Carroll who first thought
of this argument. The attribution rings true.

Mike D