The Math Forum

Replies: 69   Last Post: Jun 28, 2002 7:49 PM

Tony Mann

Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics

Gordon Fisher wrote:

> This brings to my mind another popular research field of today,
> that of so-called evolutionary psychology. I think I saw recently
> a reference to a book which considered the rise of mathematics
> from the standpoint of Darwinian-type evolution as applied to
> human cognitive developments over the course of time. Can anyone
> here identify this work for me, or other similar work?

It might have been "The Number Sense", by Stanislas Dehaene, Paperback -
288 pages (4 March, 1999) Penguin Books; ISBN: 0140261346 - which I
recommend. There is also a recent book by Brian Butterworth, "The
Mathematical Brain" which I have not read - there was previously some
discussion of this latter on this list.

Tony

Date Subject Author
2/8/99
Read [HM] historiography of mathematics
Alfred Ross
2/9/99
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
Barnabas Hughes
2/9/99
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
Israel Kleiner
2/15/99
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
Julio Gonzalez Cabillon
2/20/99
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
Julio Gonzalez Cabillon
2/23/99
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
Julio Gonzalez Cabillon
2/24/99
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
Julio Gonzalez Cabillon
2/25/99
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
Ken.Pledger@vuw.ac.nz
2/26/99
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
David Fowler
2/28/99
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
Ken.Pledger@vuw.ac.nz
4/10/99
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
Julio Gonzalez Cabillon
4/13/99
Read [HM] Indian numbers
MANN@vms.huji.ac.il
4/13/99
Read Re: [HM] Indian numbers
Heinz Lueneburg
4/16/99
Read Re: [HM] Indian numbers
David Fowler
4/16/99
Read Re: [HM] Indian numbers
Alexander Jones
4/13/99
Read Re: [HM] Indian numbers
Kim Plofker
4/14/99
Read Re: [HM] Indian numbers
Bo Klintberg
4/16/99
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
David Fowler
4/16/99
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
Julio Gonzalez Cabillon
2/25/99
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
Julio Gonzalez Cabillon
2/27/99
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
Julio Gonzalez Cabillon
2/24/99
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
milo.gardner@24STEX.COM
2/25/99
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
Gordon Fisher
3/1/99
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
Michael Fried
2/26/99
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
Samuel S. Kutler
2/26/99
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
milo.gardner@24STEX.COM
3/10/99
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
Julio Gonzalez Cabillon
3/10/99
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
Julio Gonzalez Cabillon
9/9/00
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
Julio Gonzalez Cabillon
9/12/00
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
Julio Gonzalez Cabillon
9/15/00
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
Abe Shenitzer
9/13/00
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
Julio Gonzalez Cabillon
9/14/00
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
Nimish Shah
9/14/00
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
E. Roy Weintraub
9/14/00
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
Gordon Fisher
9/14/00
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
Ed Sandifer
9/14/00
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
Milo Gardner
9/15/00
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
Luigi Borzacchini
9/15/00
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
Gordon Fisher
9/16/00
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
Tony Mann
9/18/00
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
John Conway
9/15/00
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
David Wilkins
9/15/00
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
Everdell@aol.com
9/15/00
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
Fay Wall
9/16/00
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
Reuben Hersh
9/16/00
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
E. Roy Weintraub
9/16/00
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
Everdell@aol.com
9/18/00
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
John Conway
9/17/00
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
David Wilkins
9/19/00
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
Lambrou Michael
9/19/00
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
Karen Dee Michalowicz
9/19/00
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
Martin Davis
9/19/00
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
Karen Dee Michalowicz
9/20/00
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
Luigi Borzacchini
9/20/00
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
Beatrice Lumpkin
9/20/00
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
John Harper
9/20/00
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
Antreas P. Hatzipolakis
9/20/00
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
Everdell@aol.com
9/21/00
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
Antreas P. Hatzipolakis
10/4/00
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
Beatrice Lumpkin
11/5/00
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
Don Cook
11/6/00
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
Gordon Fisher
11/7/00
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
John McKay
12/6/01
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
Milo Gardner
12/7/01
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
Milo Gardner
12/7/01
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
John Conway
12/7/01
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
Gordon Fisher
12/7/01
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
MANN@vms.huji.ac.il
12/8/01
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
Milo Gardner
6/28/02
Read Re: [HM] historiography of mathematics
Piers Bursill-Hall