The Math Forum

Replies: 15   Last Post: Feb 3, 2001 11:07 AM

J.G.Fauvel (John Fauvel)

Re: [HM] Mathematics Teacher Nov 2000

Victor Steinbok's concern about Kluwer's prices and policies is
understandable. I hold no brief for Kluwer in general, but it may be
helpful to say that the 60% ICMI discount is more widely available than
Victor fears. That is, the category of 'ICMI member' is generously
interpreted, I understand, and includes educationists and students
interested in ICMI's aims, so would apply to members of this list. I
believe you activate it by e-mailing Kluwer's order department (E-mail:
orderdept@wkap.nl) with your order and the ICMI Order Discount Code
"NISSDISCOUNT2000". The discounts for friends of ICMI bring the cost of
'History in Mathematics Education' down to $74, or �£46.

Thus a more generous interpretation of Kluwer's policy here, as I understand
it, is that the advertised price for the books in this series is the library
price, and the discount rate is set so as to bring it more within the budget
of individuals.

Greetings from Milton Keynes, John Fauvel