The Math Forum

Replies: 1   Last Post: Jun 30, 2001 5:47 AM

Tony Mann

Re: [HM] Right hand side (stimulated by right angle)

John McKay wrote:

> It occurs to me that right hand side is redundant. I recently tried
> "right side" in a paper but the editor did not like it! What is wrong
> with the simpler expression? Or, sometimes just "right" itself?

It seems to me that "hand " is necessary to make clear that "right" is
as opposed to "left" rather than "wrong". So one could talk about the
"left side" or "right hand side" but not "right side" as that could be
misunderstood. So just "right" itself is fine, or "right hand side",
but "right side" will always be ambiguous and editors won't like it,
while any of "left", "left side" and "left hand side" is OK. In other
words there's an asymmetry between "left" and "right"!

Tony